Newly diagnosed

Sportlover

Hi everyone. This is my first time on this web site. I was diagnosed with type one diabetes last month. I am 14 and very athletic. I am doing sports or athletic things 24 7. One thing i have noticed with my diabetes is that no matter what my blood sugar drops very low during exercise and i won't notice until i am close to going into a coma. I have lost the majority of my hearing from nerve damage because i have poor control of my blood sugar levels. Does this happen to anyone else?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Sportlover

If you love sporty acitivities and doing them 24/7 then you should still be able to get a balance of blood level readings... There are ex-footballers like Gary Mannutt and even Steve Redgrave that did sports 24/7 too.

You say you've lost hearing due to uncontrolledbloods andnerve damage? So I am assuming that your levels are going high and low?

Have you considered having a pump instead of injections?

I am pretty active and do manual, physical work for majority of my activities, but it is possible to get improved levels with perseverance and help from DSN and this forum.

It sounds as if you have lost your hypo awareness, and you can get it back, but you will need to get balanced higher levels for probably 3 months to get it back...

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sportlover

How often are you testing your blood sugars? I suggest testing before, during and after sports as this will help you understand where your levels are going and to enable you to take action sooner if required.

I test before sport and depending on what my levels are and how much I am going to exert myself will eat something like a banana which is easily digested. For me I like my BS to be around 7 before I get started for moderate exercise, higher if I'm going to be pushing it more. You will need to find what works for you. Make sure you always have something to treat a hypo and that people around you also know that you are diabetic and what to look out for and how to help you out.

Exercise may not just affect your blood sugars for the duration of the exercise but may last for a coupe of days.

Have a look at www.runsweet.com which is a website specifically for diabetic athletes.

Good luck and enjoy your sport.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App