Newly diagnosed

jenna76

Hello my name is Jenna

I have been newly diagnosed with I am from the West midlands.

I have come on here for support

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,Jenna, Have a good read round the forum and ask us questions if there is anything we can help you with.

chris1004

Hi Jenna76

You are not alone. I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes exactly 1hr and 34 minutes ago.

Although it wasn't a shock as it runs in my family I do feel apprehensive and to be honest a little scared about my future hense coming on this forum for information / support probably much the same as yourself.

This is my first ever post on this forum the heading "newly diagnosed" drew me in, I bet there are hundreds of us newbies out there every day.

As a typical bloke my initial questions mostly revolve around alchohol consumption but my wife is taking a more practical line with what foodstuffs should be avoided.

How are you finding things?

Regards, Chris.

ChocFish

Hello Jenna, Hello Chris and welcome to the forum, as Sugarless Sue already said, do have a good look around the forum and ask any questions you may have.

I know its all confusing and overwhelming at first, especially since there is just so much information around and you cant make head nor tail of it, you probably go through a whole variety of emotions from shock to anger and so on.
But fear not, it does get easier and you will learn about diabetes and how to control this condition in order to avoid developing complications. Start by reading the stickies in the different sections.

Also have you been prescribed medication, do you have a meter and testing strips, what are your readings like? What food do you eat, write us down the full menu, a couple of days worth and we will see how we can help you, everyone in here is very caring and someone will be able to give you the right answer, its a matter of working out what is best for you, and of course its also trial and error, but this is the way to learn how many carbs you can have per day while keeping your bg steady and at non-diabetic levels, or near enough.
Also get hold of Collins Little Gem Carbohydrate Counter, its only a small book but really useful for when you go out shopping and planning your meals, read labels on food in supermarket, note the carbohydrate content and also for starters get hold of Dr Charles Clarke The Diabetes Revolution, its cheap and easy to read and explains things very well.

I wont babble on here too much for now.

All the best

Karen

Chris, in a nutshell, a diabetic has to test bg before and after meals, this way we find out which foods make us spike too much, so you need to keep a food diary as well, it is the carbohydrates that raise our bg, so reduce or even cut out bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, starchy fruit and vegetables. Look in the food section for further info.
Re alcohol, red wine and spirits will actually lower your bg, but beer and cider have the opposite effect.

jenna76

I have a tracetrack machine and I test my blood first thing in the morning. My doctor has asked me to concentrate on the morning readings for now. When I took my first reading it was 21.8 then yesterday it was 13.2 then today 13.1

I know it is very high and I am seeing the nurse next week to deal with my dietary needs.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi jenna and Chris
plenty of support available here

chris1004

Thanks everyone for your advice/support

To start with I don't really know much about the condition but will remedy this when I get some spare time this weekend. To be honest I'm fairly lazy when it comes to learning about health matters but I realise that has to change drastically, I seem to get confused rather easily and just give up.

Does bg stand for blood glucose? I'm not testing for this yet (don't know how to) my doctor has done all my blood tests thus far and the first one was 14.8 and two weeks later after drastically removing as much sugar from my diet as possible and giving up beer it had come down to 13.0. still cause for alarm though according to my doctor. He also said that he had done another test to determine the average over the preceeding 3 months (not sure how that works?) and that was 11.0. He has prescribed me some pills and has told me to gradually wean myself on to them starting with one a day and increasing to 3 a day over the course of about a month or so depending on stomach reactions which as I understand it can be quite uncomfortable at first.

Its all a bit of a learning curve for me at the minute which is shamefull really when you consider that my nan, mum and daughter (diagnosed as an adult after leaving home) all have type 2 diabetes. I'm off now to read some of the aformentioned sticky posts.

Regards, Chris.

hanrahanj1

Re: I cannot get my head round it.

I was only diagnosed 2 weeks ago and am still very confused. I was sort of suspecting I had it as both types run in the family, on mum's side it is type 1 on my dad's type 2, I have type 2.

Despite the initial urgency in the beginnning, I now feel a bit in limbo, still waiting for an appointment with my GP Diabetic Clinic, for a blood test then two weeks later an appt. I really need some advice. I know a lot of it is common sense regarding diet which i have already begun to implement. I have weaned myself off chocolate hell if you are a chocoholic formerly, crisps and all the nasties, hoping i will lose my taste for them eventually.

What really confused me is if i need to test my blood glucose at this stage? or should i wait for my appt I am quite worried. Is anyone out there newly diagnosed having this experience?

It is stressful enough coping with the news, but to be left at the wayside. I have found the whole experience quite anxiety provoking.

Anyway onwards and upwards warm geetings to my fellow forum members, glad to be here and welcome any friendly advice.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi newbies
We oldies will help anyone as much as we can. If you ask specific questions, it's often easier to deal with them. However if you start by reading through( especially stickies and success stories) you'll probably find most of what you need to start with. Then once you have enough information, you'll be able to start making decisions and choices which suit you. there's no "one way". Each person with diabetes has to find their own path through the minefield. However, those of us with years of experience can help with signposts and stepping stones.
Sometimes, you may find that our ideas are in conflict with the medical profession and occasionally we"discuss" what suits some of us and not others
A lot is down to "trade-offs", and what compromises we choose to make.
There are several of us here who can attest to the fact that this thing is controllable. 8)

hanrahanj1

I was diagnosed nearly three weeks ago and have just got my letter for appt with the diabetes nurse, i know I have type 2 diabetes, despite the initial urgency and seeing my Gp. Who then informed me i would have to wait for an appt (two in fact) one for blood test and another with the nurse. I do not even know if i have to test my blood sugars or what. I feel really abandoned by the NHS. What a shambles.

Has anyone else had this experience. I had a sobering experience last week, woke up feeling really unwell. In the end i took myself to A & E when i kept zoning in and out when talking to a colleague. I did not know if it was connected to my diabetes or what, very unnerving.

Take Care

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Hanrahanj1,

I was diagnosed in April and like yourself, because of the initial feedback and "reading of the riot act", I thought that I had to take action instantly or else I would probably expire within days!!!
Best thing to do at first is take a deep breath and realise that diabetic complications develop over long periods and there is no need to panic. You need to find out what your HBA1C blood reading is, because that is a stable reading which shows what your average blood glucose has been for the last 3 months. This will be gleamed from your first blood tests (not fingerprick tests). The finger prick tests show what your Blood Glucose readings are at any instant in time and they can fluctuate depending on when you last ate and what you have been eating. Once you have your reading, I assume it will be high (mine was 10.3). Next step will be to lose weight if weight is an issue, increase exercise (if inactivity is an issue and you are physically able), take the medication (if required) and amend your diet to ensure that what you input does not allow your Blood Glucose to remain high. (High Carbohydrates in = High Blood Glucose). When you see your diabetic team (nurse or GP), ask them about some education such as an X-Pert Patient Course and other reading materials, but take heed of the advice you will get from this forum, as we can evidence our advice with real world success stories!!

Good Luck and come back often (I check in every day).

Steve.

MrsMoo

Hi I joined yesterday and had lots of good help straight away on here. I too feel like I have been left out in the cold by the health workers seeing to me and have lots of questions for them. I decided to keep a food diary for when I next see someone that way I am hoping they have something to go on. As yet I have no means of testing myself either I am presuming that will come from the professionals when the time is right so trying not to concern myself too much for now with it. I fell like I have found a huge family here!