newly informing dvla :(

frith1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys
I know this topic has been discussed plenty of times but just seeking some advice please.
I have been a diabetic for 4 years and I have only just found out that I need to inform the dvla I am a diabetic I have never been told to inform dvla unless I have a severe hypo but I've been doing some research and regardless of anything I need to inform them I am so worried about this because if I had known this from the start I would have told them :( any how I am filled in my medical form and sent it off so waiting to hear. Another thing that worries me is that 3 weeks ago I had to get a new glucose tester as it had broke and I know that if u need to see a dvla consultant u must have 3 months worth of readings which I won't have. I test my sugars more than 3 times a day and they will see that from my readings. I have never ever had any problems with my diabetes every time I see my consultant he is always happy with my results and never has any concerns with me will I need to see a dvla consultant if my own consultant writes a good report? I am so worried as my job involves driving so if I lose my license I lose my job please help :(

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't worry too much at this stage, as what they will be concerned about is your level of hypo unawareness , and if you have had hypos that require assistance from another person ( such as a visit to A&E ) . If you have never had this, and your doctor and/ or consultant is happy with your hypo awareness, then it's unlikely you will need to see a DVLA consultant .

Were you aware that legally you are required to test before you drive ? I'm Surprised at the lack of information you have been given :banghead:

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

frith1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope never been told by my consultant to test before driving BUT I do it anyway if I know I'm going anywhere and I'm driving I always test before I drive and even if my sugars are at 5 I have a tiny bit of lucozade just to get them up a little bit lol yes I've suffered hypos but nothing severe where I've needed help or anything always treat my self and I know not to drive until at least half an hour after a hypo, never been in hospital because of my diabetes so fingers crossed I won't ever get any complications I am concerned though in case the dvla ask why I have been driving around for 4 years without telling anyone :( thank you for your reply it's much appreciated :)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you will be fine :)
I'm sure the DVLA have experienced many other people who are unaware that they need to inform them, it's a comparatively recent thing and I understand that quite a few were not told by their HCP's at the time the new ruling was introduced . So you won't be alone in this :confused:

The important thing as far as the DVLA are concerned is that you have told them now, and if you have not had any diabetic related traffic incidents while unaware that you needed to inform them, I doubt they will pursue it. :)

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

frith1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope so fingers crossed :) thank you for help but my mind at ease a little lol x

frith1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh so you don't have to see a consultant if you drive just cars? I'm not worried about my hypo awareness and my sugar readings etc as I am fine with everything it was just the providing 3 months worth of readings as I got a new tester 3 weeks ago due to my other one breaking so didn't want this to be a concern :(

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
They could request readings from a machine but to be honest I've certainly never come across a car driver that has had this requested.

They can write to GP or consultant but they don't always do this.

Incidentally I think the dvla say more than 30 mins for driving if hypo.. Will have to check though.

frith1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm hoping it all goes smoothly as I've done nothing but worry about this because as said I could lose my job. Also (apologies but another question) on the medical form it says 'are you always aware' obviously I ticked yes as I thought it are you always aware of when you are having a hypo or when your sugars are low? But apparently if you tick yes to this they revoke your license instantly as it's the wrong answer? If that isn't what they meant then the questions need to be stated more clearly. Oh the joys :( thank you in advance

denbo

They could request readings from a machine but to be honest I've certainly never come across a car driver that has had this requested.

They can write to GP or consultant but they don't always do this.

Incidentally I think the dvla say more than 30 mins for driving if hypo.. Will have to check though.
45 min b4 driving and test agen

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm hoping it all goes smoothly as I've done nothing but worry about this because as said I could lose my job. Also (apologies but another question) on the medical form it says 'are you always aware' obviously I ticked yes as I thought it are you always aware of when you are having a hypo or when your sugars are low? But apparently if you tick yes to this they revoke your license instantly as it's the wrong answer? If that isn't what they meant then the questions need to be stated more clearly. Oh the joys :( thank you in advance

I think DVLA may not revoke automatically for always being aware now....
I know somebody who ticked that box and got their licence.
Years ago I was told by a DVLA member of staff thst they did revoke if you ticked always aware box... However the form has been changed since then and the **** I went through..,

frith1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So what do they exactly mean by always being aware? Surely your a danger to driving if not always aware just doesn't make sense
I think DVLA may not revoke automatically for always being aware now....
I know somebody who ticked that box and got their licence.
Years ago I was told by a DVLA member of staff thst they did revoke if you ticked always aware box... However the form has been changed since then and the **** I went through..,

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What they mean is literally "are you aware of every single hypo- night or day". Not whilst you are specifically driving..
For example... You may test by your alarm click on your meter and it could read say 3.9. Technically that should say that you were not 100% aware because you tested because of the alarm click sounding, not because of feeling hypo. You may have got a sense if it at 3.8 but technically you tested to your alarm clock
and under 4.0.
I personally don't think "i'm hypo" - I always think "I Need to eat"... As I never, ever have hunger pangs or any thoughts normally of "I need to eat" then these are my hypo signs. However, say earlier this year.. I needed assistance due to a chinese, massive bolus and then being chronically sick and vomiting constantly.. I knew I was going to go badly hypo. I did everything I could to stave it off but I had to tell hubby to call 999 in end for a drip. I knew that I was going to crash big time.. So technically I was aware.. But I did need assistance.... But the DVLA now allows for instances like this with their questions about needing assistance.
How long ago did you send off for your licence?

frith1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They should ask the question a bit more in depth then as it could be read a number of different ways but I totally understand what you mean and yes you are right. I only sent it off on Tuesday I'm hoping it's not too long before I hear anything back. Am I still okay to drive with my current license? God I bet your getting sick of my questions :p sorry lol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Lol!! Thats what we are al here for.. To try and help...
Yes, you are still okay to drive
With your current license.:)

frith1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And you have all been a great help so thank you :) just out of curiosity have u ever had any problems with the dvla?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
And you have all been a great help so thank you :) just out of curiosity have u ever had any problems with the dvla?

I did, but my own fault due to a driving incident. Whilst talking to them I inadvertently told them they were causing me the greatest stress and anxiety and depression... 3 days later I got a form and a new medical questionairre stating I hadn't told them of another medical ussue. When I again phoned them, they told
Me I hadn't notified them of my depression!!!! It took 89 days to get my lucence renewed in the end. Not DVLA fault as they were only doing their jobs and the driving incident was my doing, not theirs.

frith1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did, but my own fault due to a driving incident. Whilst talking to them I inadvertently told them they were causing me the greatest stress and anxiety and depression... 3 days later I got a form and a new medical questionairre stating I hadn't told them of another medical ussue. When I again phoned them, they told
Me I hadn't notified them of my depression!!!! It took 89 days to get my lucence renewed in the end. Not DVLA fault as they were only doing their jobs and the driving incident was my doing, not theirs.
One thing I have learnt from all this is to be perfectly honest when filling in any of the forms out as it looks like the dvla will always find out no matter how hard you try to hide it!!! Fortunately I've not encountered any problems with my diabetes never had an accident in a vehicle either so fingers crossed it stays like this and I pray for an easy process with the dvla. Ah man I have another question!!! :) when does the field of vision test have to be done do you have to do one of these?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Long may your trouble free driving continue!!
Fieldof vision should be done annually at an optician. However, I don't know if this is actually written in stone anywhere to be honest.
I've at times been 18-24 months between visits and haven't been told off (formally)