(newspaper article)The disease thats stalking my children

C

catherinecherub

Taking into account the recent diagnosis, it is a very negative view of Type 1. Mothers and fathers who post on here seem to be doing a marvellous job with managing their children's diabetes. I know at least three teenagers who have had diabetes for most of their life and they manage their lifestyle and their condition and lead a full and active life.
I am sure as the parent in the article gets more accustomed to everything then things will improve for the family.
Nobody embraces diabetes with open arms and I am sure it is bewildering to begin with .They just have to do the best they can and hats off to all the parents.
It would be nice to see a follow up article in a year.
Catherine.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I actually thought that was a great article, thanks for posting. I remember telling the nurses and social worker "You wouldn't do this to your dog" once reality of what had happened sank in. My son's diagnosis was a devasting blow to me as any hopes that he would have adult independence were stripped. My son also has Down syndrome and he was progressing along at a reasonable pace so I had faith that he may be able to live a semi monitored, high quality life. Diabetes has taken any chance of independence away from both of us and certainly affected his much older brother because I cannot manage quite so many things. My record for continuous nights of sleep is 9. My son's father left when he was 10 weeks old so I do it all alone. His diabetes onset was at 8 months of age when we went to hospital and found he had a blood sugar of 86.

I truly believe the instances of diabetes is a direct result of their being treatment available. All cases of diabetes (Type 1) died before 1922 and since treatment became available the survival rates, quality and length of life have continued to grow. In the early years people were advised against having children because of the risks but nowdays people try to life as normal a life as possible. Surely the genetic pool of people pre-disposed to diabetes is growing. Most people wouldn't even know their great-grandparents names let alone go back further to find out what caused their death.

Don't take this the wrong way. I am all for people living as full a life as possible but I probably believe a little more in Charles Darwin than God. Hopefully there will be a cure or even a better form of treatment in the future. Sadly, my son's life expectancy was shortened without diabetes and the risk of complications are much greater.

Anyway, we manage.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think this is a somewhat meloramatic article in tone, but that's to be expected I guess as it was written as a journalistic piece and by a man who's still in the shellshocked period that follows diagnosis. As has already been said, the family will gradually adjust to their new 'normal' and day to day things will not seem so bad.

From a personal perspective, I have to say I used to feel a bit 'stalked' after my older daughter was diagnosed, and was paranoid about the younger one developing it too. I didn't have to wait long, just over a year and then she was, so the stalked feeling went away, because we had been caught!!

It is true that every day, hour by hour, is invaded by Type 1, you can never take your eye off the ball, never have a holiday from it, never ignore it. It is quite tiring at times and immensely frustrating when you try hard and can't get things right, but as Jenny said, we manage.

I greatly admire you, Jenny, doing it all by yourself, and coming to terms with the future that you see for Khaleb and for yourself. I think you are a terrific example of how parents rise to the challenge of coping.
Best wishes,
Sue