NHS Medical Exemption card

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi FF.

Not sure if you have lost it or it has expired ?

Q. My current Medical Exemption is due to expire. How do I renew it?
A. We will send you a reminder letter, including a renewal application form about 1 month before your certificate is due to expire.

Q. I did not receive a renewal letter and my Medical Exemption certificate has expired?
A. Please contact us on 0845 601 8076 and we will advise you what to do.

Hope that helps.

Ken.

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Slow drivers, blood tests, having to go to hospital
I'd agree with the above post about contacting them. My wallet was stolen the year before last and my medical exemption certificate was in it. I just rang them up and explained the situation and they sent me a replacement. For information, if you already have a pre-payment card and are then diagnosed with diabetes, they will not refund you. I had a pre-payment as I need a lot of asthma meds and I hoped it would be similar to getting a road tax refund but they told me they don't refund even if there is almost a whole year left!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I just got mine from my GP. I filled in a form , gave it to the receptionist and a card was sent to me after they'd got the doc to sign it and send it off. The pharmacy rarely checks so I always just tick teh box to say that I do have one, but I leave it at home :D

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Slow drivers, blood tests, having to go to hospital
Marky74 said:
hi, I got a refund for my pre payment the info is on the website

That was lucky, guess they've changed their policy since I got mine 5 years ago :lol:

lesleyr284

My pharmacist, whose son goes to school with mine and who sees me every day of the week in the playground, asks to see my card every single time I go in.......

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Something that occurred to me on reading this thread - once we are on medication we get an exemption certificate. But what if we manage our diabetes so well that medication is no longer necessary (as some have done)? Does that mean we should surrender the exemption card?

Any thoughts?

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Dennis said:
Something that occurred to me on reading this thread - once we are on medication we get an exemption certificate. But what if we manage our diabetes so well that medication is no longer necessary (as some have done)? Does that mean we should surrender the exemption card?

Any thoughts?

No way! Hold onto it!

I also have another question; Do these NHS 'Prescription' Exemption cards give us anything off Dental treatment or is it just prescriptions?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Acron.

The card is specifically for prescription charges only. No other treatment is covered.

From the website:
Q. What will be covered by the certificate?
A. Your NHS prescriptions.

Q. How long will it last?
A. For administrative convenience, a Medical Exemption Certificate will last for 5 years or until your 60th birthday, whichever is the sooner

Ken.

Kevin1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was asked to produce mine last time I collected my tablets, first time I'd been asked so I didn't have it with me. I was given the tablets but asked to show it next time.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I always get asked for mine and they write it's number on the prescription