1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

NHS Prescription Penalty charge notice !

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by BlakeyGee, Nov 26, 2014.

1. BlakeyGee

BlakeyGee Type 1 · Newbie

Hi all, new to the forums so a quick introduction:

My names Blake, 22 years old and i've been T1 Diabetic since i was 16, insulin dependant.

Much to my shock today after coming home from work i had a letter on my doorstep from the NHS 'Business Services Authority' making a demand for £96.60 due to not having a valid medical exemption certificate when i claimed a prescription in september 2014.

When i was 16 years old, through to the age of 18 i was entitled to free care due to being in full time education. From this point onwards i assumed that as i was diabetic my prescription costs would be automatically covered by the NHS as we are entitled to free healthcare. I was never told about a certificate i needed to apply for by my healthcare professionals, my doctors or my pharmacy. For the past several years when i've picked up my prescriptions they've merely asked me do i / don't i pay, to which i state i'm a diabetic and they tick a box on the back of the prescription and then prompt me to sign.

So today when this letter dropped through my letterbox you can imagine i was in quite some shock. An advisor told me it's not your condition that entitles you to free prescriptions, but your certificate and that i must pay up. Why should i have to pay a charge for medication that by rights i am entitled to completely free of charge, but because i didn't have a certificate that said so i'm now slapped with a charge of nearly £100.00.

So my question to anybody out there with similar experiences is how i should go forward with this, has anybody ever had a penalty waived ? Either way i'm not paying as i don't see why i should, i've only ever had my diabetes medication on prescription anyway, so why should i pay a penalty of £80.00 designed to protect public funds from those claiming for things they wasn't rightfully entitled to when i am ? I guess i'll see them in court.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jackois

jackois Type 1 · Well-Known Member

3. softgirl123

softgirl123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

ii am refusing to, pay too.i got one it put me in shock.had onein 03..signed ever since in good faith.never was questioned.it all went wrong when i changed my chemist.i was advised not to pay in new chemist and by a person who was in same situation.applyed straight away when i was aware.i changed address cant be expected to remember what was on letter in 03.we should all stick together.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook