NHS Revised HbA1c Test for Diabetes Diagnosis

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hellow All,
This is the first post that I've sent on this site and was wondering if anyone out there will know the answer.

I was first diagnosed myself with Type 2 diabetes some 13 years ago, but only after two years of regular fasting blood/glucose testing that followed on from when I suddenly and unexpectantly lost my sight in the left eye. Diabetes was always suspected but it took some time to finally prove to be the case.

For several years, In my spare time I have been researching diabetes and am in the process of putting my findings into a diabetic book that I'm currently writing.

I found out in my research way back in 2006 from the WHO of their proposal of diagnosing if someone is diabetic or not from the HbA1c blood test, and their initial report sugested at the time that if the indivual's HbA1c was below 5.8% then diabetes was not present in the indivual but if over 6.5% then this should be confirmed with the standard fasting blood/glucose test to confirm diabetes.

Having this week gone for my regular 6 monthly diabetic check, I was duely informed that 'Fasting Blood Glucose Testing' was no longer being used and that my diabetic test results were now dependent soley upon the HbA1c test instead (NHS June 2013 Guidelines)

If this is the case does anyone know if this is true and what levels the NHS are currently using to define the limits for non-diabetic, Impared Glucose Tolerance Levels as well as conferming Diabetes. Also iare there any intermediate levels in the IGT that would suggest likely Diabetes development and also a level where appropriate immediate remedial action should be forthcomming.

Sorry for such a long and lenghty first posting - Best regards to all - Lazybones