1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

NHS Scotland Diabetes On-line Records Service

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by Dougie22, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Dougie22

Dougie22 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not sure where to post this - maybe a moderator could pick it up and put it in the approriate place on the site.

Scottish diabetics have access to a service called "My Diabetes*My Way". I've just recieved my logon and password in the last couple of days.

As well as having the usual links to NHS advice, videos and the like, and maybe some new stuff, this site allows you to view a limited selection of your medical records on line, including:

* Weight as recorded in your surgery (mine gotes back to 2000) and BMI
    * HbA1c results (as I'm only diagnosed this year, I've only got two entries so far)
    * Blood Pressure as recorded in surgery (mine goes back to 2000)
    * Total cholesterol (not LDL, HDL, etc) (again from year 2000)
    * Creatinine levels
    * Eye and foot screening results
    * Medication history (mine goes back to 2002)

It is supposed to be updated at more or less the same time as your doctor gets the results but I got a phone call last night from the surgery and those results haven't appeared yet. Hopefully they'll arrive in a day or so.

It's supplied through the Scottish Governments Citizen's Portal (Onescotland) so setting up access takes time and it's a bit clunky, although there are some simple graphs.

Your GP does not need to give permission for you to gain access but does have to confirm your identity before your account can be set up.

Information at http://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/

Unfortunately I think they'll only deal with Scottish patients as our data is held on different databases, etc (and presumably for funding issues) but there may be an English, Welsh or Irish equivelant in the works.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Osidge

Osidge Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Fencer

Fencer · Well-Known Member

Hi, thanks for posting this. This sounds brilliant, but I can't figure out how to get registered. Maybe I'm being thick? lol

4. Dougie22

Dougie22 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Click on my diabetes in the top bar, then go to registration form.

It's not a tremendously well designed site.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fencer

Fencer · Well-Known Member

Got there, thanks. I ended up in a completely different area when I tried yesterday. Just need to wait until I'm home now to find my CHI number.

6. tedlambert

tedlambert Type 2 · Newbie

They are collecting information so that they can sell it to insurance companies. The NHS have sold health data to over 170 companies.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

7. Who are "they?"

Welcome to the forum.

8. tedlambert

tedlambert Type 2 · Newbie

Well if you read national newspapers like the daily mail and indeed Hansards the official record of parliament you will see that I am correct in what I am saying. Further more these insurance companies need this data in order to make gamble as to how long you will live and how much liability they may have in respect of a claims for overseas travel. Data equals money for these people.

9. My Diabetes My Way is run by the NHS. The same NHS which holds all your diabetes records. There is no exchange of data. It is a service to make the data available to the patient.

10. lippymk1

lippymk1 Type 1 · Member

I can't get the link to work! Have they stopped it?

11. dadoftwo

dadoftwo Type 2 · Newbie

No it's still running, I had trouble at start of august when I tried to register too so might have been a problem their end. I tried again a few days later and managed to register ok.

12. Hpetal

Hpetal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

thanks for this, I live in Scotland and not heard of this.

13. RuthieSadler

RuthieSadler Other · Member

I applied last week - waiting for letter with details on

14. Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Its also available to other entities, I just logged in and gave permission to one to access, but apparently there are 33 or so who dont have my permission!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook