NHS Set To Start Selling Your Medical Records Off Cheap

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Thats right I could hardly believe it either but this is what I read this morning in Pulse the magazine for GP's. Apparently the NHS are about to reduce the cost of its pateint data base from between £20k to £30k to just one pound £1.

Pulse said:
The body’s chief data officer has revealed he wants to reduce the costs for companies to access NHS datasets, from around £20,000 to £30,000 currently, to just £1.

NHS England said the data would be used to identify where improvements and efficiencies could be made in the NHS and that only approved companies would have access to the data.

I really do hope this is not going to lead to call companies obtaining our information from the sources allowed to buy these data bases. Could it lead to insurance companies cherry picking the healthy to target for health insurance? Will we as diabetics be bombarded with junk mail from diet companies? If we do we will know the reason why.

Also it is possible to OPT OUT of having your medical records sold, did you realise this? I certainly didnt and I will be talking to my GP about this matter when I next see him to see how I can OPT OUT.

Why arent we opted out by default unless we want to allow our medical records to be sold to whoever, they're our medical records why should the NHS be allowed to sell them to pay for their inefficient data bases.

Has anyone tried to buy their own medical records, how easy it is for us to buy our own records, I'm sure I have read about people waiting ages to receive their own, I wonder how long an approved company will have to wait for everyones records?

How much does it cost for an individual to buy their medical records? I was under the impression that a charge was made to cover the printing and administration costs, this is surely much more than the £1 companies will pay to access everybodys!!

So many questions............

Full story here http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/your-practi ... gyAN22Hdzg

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
You couldnt make this up could you, just read a bit more from the same issue of Pulse to find this gem which is related to the same story.

Pulse said:
GPs face prosecution unless they inform patients their data could be used outside the NHS.

Exclusive GP practices must take ‘reasonable steps’ to inform patients that identifiable data will be extracted from their records from this autumn and used by the NHS and private companies, or face action under the Data Protection Act.

It would seem to help answer one of my questions in my above post, apparently from this autumn when our personal information will be up for grabs, our GP's will have to tell us that our records may be used by private companies or face prosecution under the data protection act.

I cant see anyone allowing their records to become public given the choice can you?

Full story http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/your-practi ... gyHZG2Hdzg

And more on the patient veto http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/your-practi ... gyJlG2Hdzg

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Sid Bonkers, I have a distinct feeling there's a cynical ulterior motive behind that proposal.

I mean, what reasonable, fair minded and logical thinking person would ever come up with a proposal such as that with all the obvious dangers involved.
It beggars belief.

Is there no end to the stupidity forced upon the nation nowadays. Honestly!!!

Good of you to bring it to our attention, well worth posting.

Thank you.

willie.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid, I can't see many people giving consent for their medical records to be sold to a third party, what could possibly be the gains for doing so?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I don't think people will actually be told. I would guess you will receive a form to update your personal info or something similar. Somewhere way down the bottom in very small print there will be some words that basically say by agreeing to this you authorise surgery to sell your details. There may be a tick box that youcan click to opt out. Cynical ? We'll see !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

damonfrog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shocking! I think I will write to my GP stating that at no time now or in the future do I want my records sold to third parties. Then it will be on record. It shouldn't be necessary though!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

success

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Sid
I think I may of already agreed to my records being sold, I was sent a questionair a month ago
informing me that my records were going to be put on a data system and was told if I was to
object, that I had a tick a box, I througth I do not mind my records going on the system, but
after reading your post I am not to sure now.
Success