NHS VERY LOW CARB DIET GROUP

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have decided to post this on a general forum rather than the low carb because I am hoping everyone will get a chance to read this. As there is so much controversy over this type of diet I just felt that I had to post about this.

I am a 61 year old female type 2 diagnosed almost 9 years, been through most oral meds, Byetta, Victoza and for the past 3 years Insulin. As I have also lived with Irritable Bowel Syndrome for 40 years I have been quite sceptical of the low-carb approach mainly because I thought it would have a detrimental affect on my IBS and I already had enough trouble with it without encouraging it.

Over Christmas and New Year I became very disillusioned with coping with my diabetes and decided to stop my insulin cold turkey (I was on 40 twice a day - Humalog 25) and did my best to cut out as many carbs as I could. I did this over a weekend and my sugars were no worse than with the insulin. On the Monday I emailed my DSN to tell her what I had done and she got the Dietician to call me. The outcome of that call was that they referred me to a Very Low Carb Diet Group which is run by a Dietician and the DSNs and the Dietician involved has actually been following this diet herself for over a year. We cannot just join this group we have to be referred from our GP and this diet has to be under the supervision of the relevant professionals. I attended the first group at the end of January and we meet every 4 weeks.

The diet is basically 20-40g carb per day. We are not counting carbs but have been given a long list of many foods with advice on how much to limit certain foods etc. I have been very encouraged both by the nurses and members who are further down the road than I am, many have lost 4-5 stone in the past 6 months, most have come off insulin and many have had other drugs reduced, eg blood pressure.

I know I am at the start of a new learning curve and every day is a challenge but it is slowly working. I had to go back on my insulin (just for now) but am on half the dose I was on when I stopped it. I would not advocate stopping insulin cold turkey like I did but I was just so absolutely frustrated with everything and decided to just give it a go.

I am so proud to be part of this group as I feel that the professionals are basically putting their neck on the line and this group is in Coventry. I will report back now and then if people would like me to.

Jude

Reactions: 14 people

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
Hi Jude,

I eat a very low carb diet but I would be very interested to see what foods are on your list and which ones they limit. I find I tend to eat the same ones (which gets boring) and seeing what you have been told to eat could give me some inspiration!

Many thanks...

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I have decided to post this on a general forum rather than the low carb because I am hoping everyone will get a chance to read this. As there is so much controversy over this type of diet I just felt that I had to post about this.

I am a 61 year old female type 2 diagnosed almost 9 years, been through most oral meds, Byetta, Victoza and for the past 3 years Insulin. As I have also lived with Irritable Bowel Syndrome for 40 years I have been quite sceptical of the low-carb approach mainly because I thought it would have a detrimental affect on my IBS and I already had enough trouble with it without encouraging it.

Over Christmas and New Year I became very disillusioned with coping with my diabetes and decided to stop my insulin cold turkey (I was on 40 twice a day - Humalog 25) and did my best to cut out as many carbs as I could. I did this over a weekend and my sugars were no worse than with the insulin. On the Monday I emailed my DSN to tell her what I had done and she got the Dietician to call me. The outcome of that call was that they referred me to a Very Low Carb Diet Group which is run by a Dietician and the DSNs and the Dietician involved has actually been following this diet herself for over a year. We cannot just join this group we have to be referred from our GP and this diet has to be under the supervision of the relevant professionals. I attended the first group at the end of January and we meet every 4 weeks.

The diet is basically 20-40g carb per day. We are not counting carbs but have been given a long list of many foods with advice on how much to limit certain foods etc. I have been very encouraged both by the nurses and members who are further down the road than I am, many have lost 4-5 stone in the past 6 months, most have come off insulin and many have had other drugs reduced, eg blood pressure.

I know I am at the start of a new learning curve and every day is a challenge but it is slowly working. I had to go back on my insulin (just for now) but am on half the dose I was on when I stopped it. I would not advocate stopping insulin cold turkey like I did but I was just so absolutely frustrated with everything and decided to just give it a go.

I am so proud to be part of this group as I feel that the professionals are basically putting their neck on the line and this group is in Coventry. I will report back now and then if people would like me to.

Jude
That's brilliant Jude! How wonderful to have such a forward thinking group close to home. I hope they publish their work so that others may follow and make this service more widely available. I'm T2, still insulin dep., but eat low carb, less than 30g and have also cut out all grains, these two changes have cured my IBS and reduced my BG. Very well done on your weight loss. I look forward to reading more from you in the future.
My very best wishes.
Geri :)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Well done Jude and I'll be interested in any updates you post!:)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Be interesting to watch your progress. Well done so far.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Wow progress.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Awesome! Please would you publish your list as I have plateaued!

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Amazing way to go Jude, lets hope the NHS is finally accepting low carb as a viable way to treat type two.

Reactions: 2 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Sounds excellent if you are allowed l am sure loads of us would like to see your list.:)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
................ We cannot just join this group we have to be referred from our GP and this diet has to be under the supervision of the relevant professionals. I attended the first group at the end of January and we meet every 4 weeks.

Sounds good. What supervision is there, or is it simply eating to the list and a progress review every 4 weeks?

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly I am unable to share the diet due to the fact that this has to be done under medical supervision - I would love to but think I have done enough by posting at all. However I have just done a quick read through Vivs Modified Atkins Diet and basically that is it. One of the biggest shocks for me was no porridge and no fruit other than berries. Bananas have been a staple for me for years especially to keep in my bag when travelling because they are good for IBS - no banana now for about 10 weeks. Generally two of my meals are 2 boiled eggs, Total full fat greek yogurt with berries and I have been making a lot of mushroom soup (Patch's recipe I think off this forum) which I often have instead of a meal - naughty maybe but actually vegs and salads are not that helpful with IBS. I have started eating nuts as a snack, I have been having brazils, some nuts are not allowed but the packets in the supermarkets will give you the carb information, just have to avoid the salted variety.

I have learnt that if we go over 40 carbs a day the body changes how it works and that is why when we first go onto low carb we may feel very tired with headaches because the body has got to get used to burning fat instead of the carbs which the body is not getting anymore.

Most of you probably know more than me and the main reason I posted (have been thinking about it for 4 weeks) is because I am so saddened to read of members having really bad experiences with their medical practitioners. I have a very good GP and very good DSNs and I am very fortunate. I wish I could do something for those of you without good medical support.

Reactions: 2 people

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds good. What supervision is there, or is it simply eating to the list and a progress review every 4 weeks?

We meet every 4 weeks when we are weighed and seen by a DSN. In the meantime I have the DSNs telephone number and can ring them any time (during the day of course).

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. This is fantastic. Do keep us informed. Yes, bananas a known no-no for us other than small and occasional.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All looks good Jude, do keep us informed on your progress :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Looking forward to the updates Jude, thanks for sharing.