Night highs after switching from Levemire to Tresiba

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched from Levemir to Tresiba about 5 days ago. I inject the same amount of units in the evening. My levels are OK during the day but at night they go much higher than I would like. As soon as wake up in the morning, my BS drops down to normal range. When I was on Levemir, I would see this pattern too but much less pronounced. It just so happens that my body is more insulin sensitive during the day and so I injected a unit ratio of 1:4 (morning:evening) on Levemir. I wonder if I may need to go back to Levemir because of the stark difference of insulin requirements day vs. night.

Anyone has experienced this too?

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve switched from Levemir to Tresiba like you and this isn’t an uncommon problem. However at 5 days it’s entirely possible your Tresiba hasn’t “settled” yet. It should settle after about 3 days but it’s not unusual for it take as long as 7 days.

Whilst it’s “settling” you won’t get the even action it’s supposed to give you. My theory on why this occurs because of the Insulin long-action time (up to 42 hours) it relies on overlapping doses. At five days it’s still possible you haven’t hit peak performance.

Reactions: oldgreymare