1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Night Sweats

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by bdav57, Jul 25, 2013.

1. bdav57

bdav57 · Member

Hello
    I suffer from night sweats is there a link between Impaired glucose intolerance and night sweats? Although I do drink alcohol and I was thinking that might be the cause.
    Regards
    bdav

2. Hobs

Hobs Type 2 · Master

Yes on both counts.

3. sparkyrich

sparkyrich · Well-Known Member

Ahh, welcome to the world of diabetes. My better half has been complaining about the night time heat and humidity for the last week. She should try living in my shoes ( it's okay, she never comes on the forum so I'm safe lol).
    "Night sweats" is the understatement of the decade, I wake up liking like I've had a bucket of water thrown over me. In fact, the mattress protector looks like the "Turin shroud" with a perfect outline of my body like a photo on it. Hey, maybe Jeebus was a diabetic too!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  4. cocacola

cocacola Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I didn't know night sweats was a symptom of diabetes, I thought my night sweat were because I was a female of a certain age.
    I was also wondering if it had anything to do with having a memory foam mattress.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Netty70

Netty70 · Well-Known Member

6. Hobs

Hobs Type 2 · Master

Well it sure as he*l dont help. A nice very absorbant cotton sheet over a good conventional mattress is the way to go :thumbup:

7. martwolves

martwolves Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, I agree with BOTH points and waking early unable to drop off again. Also, common sense comes in. Haven't you noted that it is significantly hotter now than the last few years? It is BOILING. It strikes me as being one of the first things I'd think. I'm not being judgemental and appreciate your concern. Don't lose that knack. You're manna to your wife! Top man!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Neil Walters

Neil Walters Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you eat some carbs before bed they night sweats are greatly reduced.

Check BS level before bed and if less than about 7.5 I eat a few crackers (Carrs melts) and have about half a little of water - sleep like a dry baby!

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

9. carophie04

carophie04 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's not just night sweats with me - I am having them all through the daytime as well to a point where I am becoming really depressed and fed up with it. I don't know if it's the Diabetes itself, the Metformin or maybe nothing to do with either and it's not just during the hot weather of late, it is all the time even now it has cooled down. GP no help at all so where do I go from here? It's certainly not menopause at the age of 74 and I can't understand why the GP can't do some kind of test to see what's causing it and hopefully something to alleviate it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. eaglet

eaglet · Active Member

If I ever get the sweats and it's not hot it normally means my BG's are low. When this happens I've tested and they've been as low as 1.5. Doesn't happen often now as I normally have a late snack. I've had the sweats during the day with the same end, but I normally get the shakes as well, same answer, a snack. Thankfully not often,
    Cheers :thumbup:

11. ftt1960

ftt1960 Other · Member

I'm on Duloxetine for neuropathy. I'm almost constantly hot and clammy even in the middle of winter. Hoping to wean myself off the Duloxetine since starting to take Alpha- Lipoic Acid.

12. bdav57

bdav57 · Member

Thank everyone for your comments I appreciate them. My night sweats it would appear are linked to IGI. It is also good to know from my perspective, that it is more common than I realised

Regards

Bdav

13. SAH154

SAH154 · Well-Known Member

I get them generally 2-4 hours after going to sleep but they wear off about 4-6 am and can get the opposite however in this really hot weather recently they have vastly improved?

I can only guess that having high blood sugar may cause the body to try to burn off extra glucose resulting in a temp rise of the body?

• Like Like x 2
  14. bdav57

bdav57 · Member

Hello SAH154

Do you know if alcohol before bedtime will increase blood sugar?

15. martwolves

martwolves Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Alcohol raises blood sugar levels and then drops rapidly. Don't give yourself extra insulin. Get a small snack ready for when you go to bed.

16. Moosepig

Moosepig Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Apart from the gluclazide, my medication is the same as yours - my night sweats are horrendous and I'm permanently exhausted from not getting much sleep. I tried having a small carb snack before bed but then found my early morning readings were higher than I'd like, so now I don't eat anything after 9pm, and my morning readings are back in the 6's, still higher than I'd like but better than before. Maybe I'll try your cracker snack for a week and see how things are night and morning. I'm due my hba1c at the end of the month so ill see what that shows too!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Moosepig

Moosepig Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry, what's IGI? I need to know as much as I can in order to try and reduce my sweats as ill never have the energy to work again!

18. catmazdo

catmazdo Other · Active Member

I'm SO glad I came across this post. I suffer terribly with night sweats and never thought it could be linked to my diabetes. I've bought new duvets, bedding the lot thinking it was to do with that. Even in winter i sleep with the window open! Should night sweats be reported back to the GP in case meds need changing or is this something I have to live with now im a diabetic?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Neil Walters

Neil Walters Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find that if I have nothing then I have night sweats but if I eat some carbs they are much reduced but basically you just have to work out what suits you over time. Some swear by jelly babies, and some jelly beans but the end result is pretty much the same.

20. Patricia21

Patricia21 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have night sweats and day sweats since I became diabetic,I take 1x500 mg Metformin a day ,and low carb diet,my BG is under control.with HbA1c of 44,so I dont know why I have sweats.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook