Night sweats

Stikievicki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Does anyone else suffer from this...during the night i can sweat really bad! It normally starts at my neck & head. It also goes to my legs. I know its not a normal sweat as my face doesnt get wet like it would on a hot day. When i wake up my hair is soaked so is my pillow, quilt cover and bottom sheet. I did wonder if it was the menopause lol. But after reading about night sweats im wondering if it could be hypos. I get this nearly every night and then all of a sudden it will stop for a few days or week and then be back again. Any advice would be greatfully recieved!

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As you've posted this thread in the Type 2 with Insulin section I'm wondering if you check your bg levels when these sweats occur.

Stikievicki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No i dont as im normally asleep and im just aware of the sweating. I do my levels before and after each meal and before bed. When i go to bed i wont go to sleep under 8. When i wake up it could be anything from 7 to 11.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just to rule out the possibility of hypo's I would set your alarm for a few nights and test your bg.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I do sweat bad sometimes during the night when I hypo... wake up in a sweat. But I don't always do that... like this morning woke up at 4 and feeling the hypo hangover. Although maybe I didn't notice I had been in a sweat, not sure. I wasn't able to think too much I know that. But hypos can cause it. It's best to check on the meter. There are other causes too no doubt.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sweat all the time at night. Have tested before and it has been fine. I think it is just one of those annoying side affects of diabetes. :(

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does sound a lot like menopause. Are you the right age for it?

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suffered terribly from night sweats last year when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I was still eating my usual food with lots of carbs (although nowhere near as much as NHS tell you to but their advice is ridiculous and wrong!). Being of menopausal age i thought maybe it was due to that. However after being offered metformin and statins following an OGTT in June I researched a lot and took up the low carb/high fat way of eating and I can honestly say I have not had a single night sweat since. I refused both medications too and would never take a statin.

My thoughts are that rather than it being a sign of a hypo, for me it was due to too high a level of blood sugar (if my blood sugar is high after a meal now I do still get hot like this morning when I was naughtily and ate a crumpet - oops). Remedy for me is 10 - 15 mins walk or jog round the house and blood sugar levels drop (since glucose is used immediately by muscles rather than staying in blood stream).

Of course if you are taking insulin then hypos may be a possibility but I don't know anything about that as don't take medications

Reactions: 5 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
As you can see from my signature used to be on insulin (both Lantus and Novorapid). I was on insulin for about 4-5 years and I really thought I was stuck with the night sweats for life. I think it must be a side effect from the insulin because about a month after finishing with it I noticed that I hadn't had the night sweats for some time.

For me the night sweats I got from menopause were completely different (but just as annoying) and had finished about 10 years before I was diagnosed.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just noticing some comments about coming off insulin on this site... is that because you're put on insulin when you still have your own insulin there in UK? I was only put on insulin when I didn't have sufficient insulin anymore. I got told I can't come off it.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was put on insulin when my fasting blood glucose was in the high 20s. I wasn't given proper nutritional advice and accepted it completely when the doctor told me that type 2 is a progressive disease and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

I now know that that statement is foolish and dangerous. There are things we can do to reduce our blood glucose and slow down or stop the progression of this awful disease without taking more meds and it is possible to carefully reduce the meds already being taken.

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry, didn't mention that I keep to understand 25g of carbs per day and (normally) fast at least once a week. My fbg this morning was 4.7.

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was put on insulin when my fasting blood glucose was in the high 20s. I wasn't given proper nutritional advice and accepted it completely when the doctor told me that type 2 is a progressive disease and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

I now know that that statement is foolish and dangerous. There are things we can do to reduce our blood glucose and slow down or stop the progression of this awful disease without taking more meds and it is possible to carefully reduce the meds already being taken.

ah, thanks for clarifying for me :) I'm glad you were able to come off and get good control. Well done!

I'm at the late stage where my pancreas doesn't do its job. :( So I need insulin now.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That is what I was told too but I decided to take a chance because I couldn't see that (as long as I tested regularly) it couldn't get much worse - and it has paid off. I don't consider that I've got rid of it but as long as I eat low carb I think/believe/hope it is in remission.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That is what I was told too but I decided to take a chance because I couldn't see that (as long as I tested regularly) it couldn't get much worse - and it has paid off. I don't consider that I've got rid of it but as long as I eat low carb I think/believe/hope it is in remission.

You had a c-peptide test result in the red?

MrDieselx

Ever since switching to insulin I get some nights where I wake up literally in a pool of my own sweat and it smells disgusting,

LaurenMoffitt

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm possibly insulin resistance hormone pcos and wake up in horrible sweats. Wondering if this is the reason. Hope endocrinologist gets test results soon. Just woken up with one and a horrific headache!!