Night time drinks

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I really fancy havinga night time drink, on looking at low cal drinks such as Options etc they contain glucose etc...I quite like Horlicks, is there alternatives for us diabetics? Any help is appreciated.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It's not the Calories you need to worry about, it's the carb content.....that is where you will find the 'sugar' in any drink.

1 sachet of Options is around 11g carbs, not sure if that is made up or not. It is unclear.

I love Chocolate however it is only an occasional drink as it contains at least 20g carbs if you have a mug of it. Horlicks contains 12.9g carbs per 100 ml. Therefore a mug of 227 ml. would actually contain 29.28g carbs. This includes Semi Skimmed Milk. More than some of my meals ! :shock:

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the reply Ken, I tried a Horlicks light yesterday and without too much hassle, my BG levels were fine, I just counted the carbs into what I was eating and it worked fine cheers me dears for the info.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Melt a square of bitter chocolate in a mix of half milk, half cream and sweeten to taste. Can be done in a saucepan or microwave. It does 'skin' a bit but just stir it away.

wiflib

Reactions: lorraine95

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
some sort of mint flavouring is also nice. I bet a bit of coffee would turn it into a mocha?

The Da Vinchi syrups have flavours galore that could be added. I remember Hana saying she uses these.

wiflib

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
It is what you call drinking outside the box! :lol:

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love my hot chocolate and have been drinking that on occasion but I do like a Horlicks or Ovaltine, I feel like bursting in to song now "We are the ovaltinies" :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
kay957 said:
I love my hot chocolate and have been drinking that on occasion but I do like a Horlicks or Ovaltine, I feel like bursting in to song now "We are the ovaltinies" :lol:

Wow Kay! :shock: Are you sure you are being truthful with your age? :lol:

Nigel

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Nigel, yes I am showing my age I am a youthful 21 year old.....

In my head :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ovaltine mug with the 'night cap' on top of it.....................how old are you dudes! :lol:

Nigel