Night time high's

LizG

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, my 9yr old has recently had a pump fitted. All is good during the day however at night after he's eaten he has an immediate low then gradually gets higher &higher until morning. Does anyone have any advice on how to correct this?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

Hi,

You will need to do some corrections and then start to do frequent bg tests after the low, and then using the results, you can start to alter the basal rates. This will be very trial and error though so may take you a few nights to get things ok again..

Dont know whether you feel confident to do this yourself but if not, get in touch with your hospital dsn as they may be able to alter them for you.

Everyone with a pump has to go through all this so try not to worry.............

LizG

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Oops - pressed send too early! Yes it seems he wasn't getting any insulin, which accounts for the high. Feeling a bit like its one step forward two steps back as the infusion seems to cause more problems than the pump. It's early days tho........

iHs

LizG said:
Oops - pressed send too early! Yes it seems he wasn't getting any insulin, which accounts for the high. Feeling a bit like its one step forward two steps back as the infusion seems to cause more problems than the pump. It's early days tho........

Hi

Sometimes its difficult to know what the cause of the high bg really is. Often than not, infusion sets and the type and where they are inserted in the body, can make a huge difference to how bg is controlled. What I have done for myself is to use an extremely high TBR for about 2hrs and if that doesnt lower bg levels, then I usually take the set out to see if it is kinked and if not insert in an area on the body where I know absorbtion is ok.

A vital thing to have at hand is an insulin pen or a syringe to cope with the delivery of insulin that the pump isn't able especially when things goes wrong.....