Nightclub took testing kit off me

brakes

Hi,

One of the biggest London nightclubs insisted on taking my testing kit off me and for it to be stored in the medical room. I had already paid for my tickets in advance and was told I could not come in unless I gave them both my testing kit and Dextrose. After much discussion I gave them the kit as I go out quite a lot so know my body, but inevitably I had a very different evening and did not drink as a result. I was able to go to the medical room to test, however in a 1500 capacity super club with 4 flights of stairs to walk up and then to go outside to the smoking area to access the medical room, this was far from ideal and of no use if I needed to test to mitigate against a hypo occurring or just for reassurance. Having to consult the medical staff and have a discussion about my levels every time I checked was unnecessary.

The club for years had a really good policy for diabetics, however in the last 6 months this has changed in response to violence in the club. I have had an instance of a separate nightclub taking my insulin pens off me, but never the testing kit. I am now on a pump which was not threatened to be taking off me.

The risk imposed was high and if I were much younger and did not have the experience of attending similar events, the outcome could have been disastrous. With hindsight I should not have gone in, however that would have wasted 50 pounds and ruined my girlfriends birthday. This was the first time in many years of really being reminded in a social situation that I have a disability.

In terms of the law in England, are there any protecting diabetics from this happening? Their argument was I could stab someone in the club. My counter argument that the needle is tiny and not exposed, additionally my keys posed a greater threat to other clubbers.

Really would appreciate any advice on this from a legal standpoint as I have flown and gone out all over the world and never have had my testing kit off me.

Thanks for reading.

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had similar problems with trying to get into places with my blood test and lucozade. I'm not sure about getting the blood meter taken off of you but when I go out I always wear a bracelet/ band which says 'type 1 diabetic', you can get them on Amazon or EBay and although they don't look great at least it clearly shows. I also have a letter from my diabetic doctor saying I have diabetes and need to have my blood test, pump and hypo treatment with me all the time. Also at my diabetic clinic they have these credit card size cards which you can put in your wallet that says you're a diabetic.

This has always worked for me and whenever I do have a problem trying to get in somewhere I ask to speak to someone higher up like their manager.

Hope this helps :)

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ciaramoh said:
I've had similar problems with trying to get into places with my blood test and lucozade. I'm not sure about getting the blood meter taken off of you but when I go out I always wear a bracelet/ band which says 'type 1 diabetic', you can get them on Amazon or EBay and although they don't look great at least it clearly shows. I also have a letter from my diabetic doctor saying I have diabetes and need to have my blood test, pump and hypo treatment with me all the time. Also at my diabetic clinic they have these credit card size cards which you can put in your wallet that says you're a diabetic.

This has always worked for me and whenever I do have a problem trying to get in somewhere I ask to speak to someone higher up like their manager.
I think Ciaramoh is giving you very good advice. It might also be worth writing to the top dog (Chairman/MD or whatever) of the Company or Group that owns the concern and asking if they have a policy on this and, if so, how the policy was considered and devised.

You might just draw a decent response but you need to be prepared for the usual blanket corporate getout of: "the management reserves the right to refuse admission" etc., etc, and doesn't (necessarily) need to give any reason for doing so.

brakes

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I showed my medic alert tag and they were not doubting I was a genuine diabetic, but that they did not allow me to carry the equipment into the club for their policy on sharp objects and drugs.

I will be writing to the club to formally challenge them on this policy which seemed like an official policy that has been implemented recently. What info I'm really after if someone knows which part of the Equality Act or DDA (does this still apply??) to formally challenge them on.

Thanks again.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I don't know what part of the act would apply to this unfortunately. However, I just wanted to say that when you make a complaint to them (and I really hope you do) you emphasise how dangerous it is to take the blood meter off of any diabetic. Luckily I have never been faced with this situation, but I am really angry they would do this. :evil:

When I am out (and especially when drinking) I like to be able to check my sugar levels regularly. As you point out having to walk a long distance to the medical room is outrageous, especially if you think you are hypo!!

Maybe you could contact Diabetes UK - I don't know if they would be able to help or give you any guidance?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I wouldn't be happy them taking any of my equipment away but especially my fast-acting glucose, I mean do they take asthma inhalers off asthma sufferers or GTN sprays off angina sufferers?

A letter of complaint to said nightclub with a recommendation for them to review their policy me thinks!!!!!

AMBrennan

I can see no reason to take glucose off diabetics.

If they are concerned about stabbings they should be fine with a meter + single use lancets like Unistix

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
brakes said:
Hi,

Thanks for responding. I showed my medic alert tag and they were not doubting I was a genuine diabetic, but that they did not allow me to carry the equipment into the club for their policy on sharp objects and drugs.

I will be writing to the club to formally challenge them on this policy which seemed like an official policy that has been implemented recently. What info I'm really after if someone knows which part of the Equality Act or DDA (does this still apply??) to formally challenge them on.

Thanks again.

I doubt if you'd be able to challenge them formally on the DDA or Equality Act - a public building, yes, but a private club probably not. Best, IMHO, to make them think about the reasons behind their policy.

A letter will hopefully prompt them to realise the policy was never intended to include such things as testing kits and it's just plain ignorance that has prompted their staff to do so. It's not only the public sector that has its 'jobsworths' I'm afraid.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a similar experience with my Lucozade being taken away. I wear an insulin pump. I showed my diabetic card but in some places they just simply didn't care.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a word with your local newspaper or national press if you don't get any joy from the club.....the media like those sort of stories and the club wouldn't want the bad press.

Regards
Angie

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never test my blood when i'm out and about for less than 3 hours, if I am going out to eat, I would take it with me as that usually takes more than 3 hours. I've only ever been to one nightclub in my life, and it didn't last more than 30 minutes so I left, therefore that wasn't enough time to take my insulin, but there were no medical rooms I was aware of, but there were toilets.

BobCornelius

Rather than DDA or Equality, I would be examining Reckless Endangerment laws! That is completely uncalled for, and bizarre, that they would take your testing kit! Also, having removed it from your presence, where is their assurance or proof that it has not been tampered with? They should be replacing the whole kit at their expense!

I do hope you complain, and I'd be interested in knowing which nightclub it was, to ensure I never go there!

:)

Bob