No 2 peop0le are alike

marphil

I have read many letters from fellow diabetics wondering why they cannot keep their sugar continually around 5 - well as I said above no two people are the same - and each person has a different life, personality, other chronic conditions, dislikes and likes. So it doesn't matter how hard we try to keep to the 'guidlines' we are never ever going to have the perfect five all the time. I never have and have been type 1 for nearly 50 years and have high blood pressure and retinopathy ,but then, you will get many non-diabetics who have the same things - age and time catches up. It's good to eat well but careful in what is eaten, inject, never forget that one and watch for the hypos (horrible things that they are) and generally you will be okay. I was classed as a severe diabetic so I think I know what I am talking about. Margaret :)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi, all you say is true, but you should also mention that if you have had Type 1 diabetes for almost 50 years, how much has changed! I've been Type 1 for 23 years and I have lost count of the changes! I recently met a lady who had been Type 1 for 40+ years and we were giggling abotu how she used to take a wheel barrow to school for all her 'gear', scales, ketone strips etc, she loves all the technology now (although struggles with loading her meter data onto a PC, bless her!) So, not only is everyone different, there is usually something new to try as well, which can also affect your 'levels' - don't get me wrong, I love trying all the new stuff and can't wait until someone comes up with a cure! :lol: perhaps not in my lifetime but here's hoping :D

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Margaret

Wow – approaching 50 years as a Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic that is one serious achievement :D :D & in the myriad of doom and gloom regarding living with diabetes I think we should celebrate longevity of individuals living/coping/managing/surviving with diabetes.

A lovely statement that “no two people are alike”. I think that is also often forgotten and all of us have to both accept & understand that what works well for one individual with diabetes may be a nightmare for another.
Health Services often funnel individuals down a 1 size fits all approach so as Dr R D Lawrence wrote “The person with diabetes must be their own doctor, biochemist and dietician” & with support from fellow diabetics and online forums such as these we can take some ownership of our diabetes away from the policy makers & the professionals who are not actually living with diabetes.
At a recent focus group our local diabetes health team stated “we need to to listen more to our patients with diabetes after all they are living with the disease we only know the theory behind how to manage it”.
Apologies had a sudden soapbox moment – I will climb down now! :lol: :lol:

The changes within diabetes management are great for reminiscing – particularly how when I was diagnosed we did not have blood glucose (BG) monitoring – I cannot even comprehend how I would manage now without knowing what the BG’s are doing. :shock:
The early BG monitors were the size of an average house brick and you had to drop a gallon of blood on the stick and then wait an eternity for the result!! :lol: :lol:

Margaret hope you look forward to receiving your medal when you reach the 50 years milestone.

I raise a glass of champagne to you. :D

Best wishes

Txx