1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

no added sugar drinks

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by Bingers, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Bingers

Bingers · Newbie

can anyone help. i am struggling with drinks at the moment i get bored with just drinking water so decided to have what i thought were 'sugar free' cordials. However I have been having 'no added sugar' vimpto but I am worried that I souldn't be having it, are they still too high in sugar to drink??? :wink: therre is 0.7g of sugar in a portion???

2. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Check the carbohydrate content on the side of the bottle. It is the carbohydrate content that is important in any product you eat or drink , not just the sugar content.

3. Bingers

Bingers · Newbie

What is a good amount for total carbohydrates? per 100mls/gms? I have just been looking at the sugars part and going off that. I usually go for sugars less than 0.3g am I doing the right thing?/ Help :?

4. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Bingers, it is not only sugars that we diabetics have a problem with but carbohydrates as well, any carbs we eat are converted into glucose so just like sugar will raise our blood glucose (bg).

Have you seen the Basic Information For The Newly Diagnosed link that was posted by the two monitors sugarless Sue & cugila? Just click the link above to go there it explains pretty much everything about carbs and sugars.

5. cugila

cugila · Master

As Sue says forget the sugars.......Total Carb's is important to any Diabetic. As to what is a good level, you alone will have to test to see what is good for YOU. Everybody is different in the amount that they can tolerate.

I have 'No added sugar' drinks with something like 1-2g carbs per 100 mil of the concentrate. A glass of that once diluted has a minimal amount of carbs so as far as I am concerned are pretty safe. I even have the full strength Vimto which has around 5.4g per 100 mil of concentrate, again once diluted not a lot of carbs providing I don't drink gallons of the stuff ! Some 'No added sugar' drinks contain more than I have quoted......always check.

It is more the carb content of foods that cause me problems.......

6. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There are LOADS of compltely sugar free squashes available. Just check the labels.

7. cugila

cugila · Master

That's very interesting Patch. Do you have the names of any to help the OP out ?

8. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not off the top of my head. My own favourites are Tesco's own brand double concentrate squashes.

They are all <1% sugar (and I'm pretty sure there's no "complex" carbs in there either :wink: )

I've noticed that Robinsons No Added Sugar/Sugar Free squashes make me pee during the night, even though they are very low in sugar. Weird...

9. Andrew5

Andrew5 · Newbie

Hi,..
    I know the 'sugar free' drinks are syn free but I am not so sure about the 'no added sugar' drinks.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance,....

10. zhaith

zhaith · Active Member

the two squashes i generally have in the house are

Robinsons no added sugar fruit and barley (orange)
    Nutrient per 100ml (concentrate)
    Energy kCal 12kCal
    Energy kJ 49kJ
    Protein 0.2g
    Carbohydrate 1.6g
    of which sugars 0.9g
    Fat Trace
    of which saturates Nil
    Fibre 0.1g
    Sodium 0.1g

And No added sugar ribena
    Nutrient per 100ml (with 4 parts water)
    Energy kCal 4kCal
    Energy kJ 16kJ
    Protein Trace
    Carbohydrate 0.5g
    of which sugars 0.5g
    Fat Nil
    of which saturates Nil
    Fibre Nil
    Sodium Trace

so not 100% carb free but they taste nice and dont seem to cause me any issues with my BG levels

11. Snodger

Snodger · Well-Known Member

watch out for 'no added sugar' drinks that use fruit juice, especially grape juice - they aren't 'added' sugars but they are still sugars. Grape in particular is pretty quick to get into the bloodstream.

like zhaith I would consider that something with only 0.5g of carbs per 100ml is pretty much sugar free in terms of what it does to my bloods. A glass of milk would affect my sugars more. (and that's another thing to watch out for - milk is surprisingly high in carbs).

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook