no added sugar drinks

Bingers

can anyone help. i am struggling with drinks at the moment i get bored with just drinking water so decided to have what i thought were 'sugar free' cordials. However I have been having 'no added sugar' vimpto but I am worried that I souldn't be having it, are they still too high in sugar to drink??? :wink: therre is 0.7g of sugar in a portion???

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Check the carbohydrate content on the side of the bottle. It is the carbohydrate content that is important in any product you eat or drink , not just the sugar content.

Bingers

What is a good amount for total carbohydrates? per 100mls/gms? I have just been looking at the sugars part and going off that. I usually go for sugars less than 0.3g am I doing the right thing?/ Help :?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Bingers, it is not only sugars that we diabetics have a problem with but carbohydrates as well, any carbs we eat are converted into glucose so just like sugar will raise our blood glucose (bg).

Have you seen the Basic Information For The Newly Diagnosed link that was posted by the two monitors sugarless Sue & cugila? Just click the link above to go there it explains pretty much everything about carbs and sugars.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As Sue says forget the sugars.......Total Carb's is important to any Diabetic. As to what is a good level, you alone will have to test to see what is good for YOU. Everybody is different in the amount that they can tolerate.

I have 'No added sugar' drinks with something like 1-2g carbs per 100 mil of the concentrate. A glass of that once diluted has a minimal amount of carbs so as far as I am concerned are pretty safe. I even have the full strength Vimto which has around 5.4g per 100 mil of concentrate, again once diluted not a lot of carbs providing I don't drink gallons of the stuff ! Some 'No added sugar' drinks contain more than I have quoted......always check.

It is more the carb content of foods that cause me problems.......

Reactions: MargaretR

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There are LOADS of compltely sugar free squashes available. Just check the labels.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Patch said:
There are LOADS of compltely sugar free squashes available. Just check the labels.

That's very interesting Patch. Do you have the names of any to help the OP out ?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not off the top of my head. My own favourites are Tesco's own brand double concentrate squashes.

They are all <1% sugar (and I'm pretty sure there's no "complex" carbs in there either :wink: )

I've noticed that Robinsons No Added Sugar/Sugar Free squashes make me pee during the night, even though they are very low in sugar. Weird...

Andrew5

Hi,..
I know the 'sugar free' drinks are syn free but I am not so sure about the 'no added sugar' drinks.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,....

zhaith

the two squashes i generally have in the house are

Robinsons no added sugar fruit and barley (orange)
Nutrient per 100ml (concentrate)
Energy kCal 12kCal
Energy kJ 49kJ
Protein 0.2g
Carbohydrate 1.6g
of which sugars 0.9g
Fat Trace
of which saturates Nil
Fibre 0.1g
Sodium 0.1g

And No added sugar ribena
Nutrient per 100ml (with 4 parts water)
Energy kCal 4kCal
Energy kJ 16kJ
Protein Trace
Carbohydrate 0.5g
of which sugars 0.5g
Fat Nil
of which saturates Nil
Fibre Nil
Sodium Trace

so not 100% carb free but they taste nice and dont seem to cause me any issues with my BG levels

Snodger

Andrew5 said:
Hi,..
I know the 'sugar free' drinks are syn free but I am not so sure about the 'no added sugar' drinks.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,....
watch out for 'no added sugar' drinks that use fruit juice, especially grape juice - they aren't 'added' sugars but they are still sugars. Grape in particular is pretty quick to get into the bloodstream.

like zhaith I would consider that something with only 0.5g of carbs per 100ml is pretty much sugar free in terms of what it does to my bloods. A glass of milk would affect my sugars more. (and that's another thing to watch out for - milk is surprisingly high in carbs).

Donna56

Hi
I've been type 2 diabetes for 2 years and just can't seem to get my sugars right, lately I've been having a dry mouth so I'm constantly drinking no added sugar drinks but my sugar is still high if I drank fruit water with 0.5 sugar's in would that be ok
Donna

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hi
I've been type 2 diabetes for 2 years and just can't seem to get my sugars right, lately I've been having a dry mouth so I'm constantly drinking no added sugar drinks but my sugar is still high if I drank fruit water with 0.5 sugar's in would that be ok
Donna
Hi, read the total carbs. The term no added sugar can be deceiving. You should test the product with a meter, that way you know for sure. Liquids probably need to be tested sooner, maybe 30 minutes after drinking.

I just drink water, toss in a couple lemons for flavor, sometimes a pinch of salt

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When you see 0.3 carbs per 100ml on Robinsons no added sugar lemon, or 0.7 carbs on Marks and Spencers no added sugar blackcurrant, does it mean the neat cordial, or when diluted?

Shelber

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just visited my doctor a couple of weeks ago and asked about the no sugar sport drinks, because like you I get tired of the water and need some taste. She said that it would be a good drink for diabetics