No advice given

gepocock

I had a bladder infection and weed on stick, told I was in the diabetic range. After a series of blood tests, I was told my sugar level was 7.3. Then my doctor told me I should not drink any alcohol (she is a moslem!) and gave me no other advice other than that. I go to Slimmingworld anyway, but she gave no advice about what I should or should not eat apart from keep away from sugar. I feel all at sea. Not sure what on earth I should do! I'm not desperately overweight, size 12 to 14, perhaps a little but not that bad! :roll: How do I know if my sugar is going down, she hasn't given me any other check up appointments and I do not know what on earth to do about it. Help please. There are other doctors in the practise, should I make another appointment to see one of them - but would that be criticising her?

ClaireG 06

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

It sounds like you have been given no advice at all. Do you have any follow up appointments booked? Does your Drs surgery have a diabetic nurse? If so i would try and book an appointment with them. If not then it may be best to see a different Dr.

Here is a link to some information for newly diagnosed diabetics.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

At the end there is also a link to some useful questions to ask your Dr or diabetic nurse. I hope you find this information useful.

Please come back and ask any questions you may have and let us know how you are getting on.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does your practice have a practice nurse that deals with the diabetic patients, a lot of places have. Many of these do the appointments and offer advice rather than the doctors having to deal with all that sort of day to day stuff.
May be worth seeing if you can get an appointment with the nurse if this is so in your practice. Ask then if you can have a testing kit and get the strips on prescription so you can start to monitor your levels.
Regards
Angie

ClaireG 06, you beat me to it!!

gepocock

Thank you to all who replied. I thought that I should have been given some advice, and wasn't. No - in answer to all, no appointments pending and no advise given. No diet given, etc etc. She told me I had diatetes because I drank alcohol too much, and that it was my wine drinking that was the problem and had caused it, flooding my system with sugar. Yes, I did drink nearly a bottle of wine a night, about 4 glasses a night, stressful job teaching! So guilty then. And this is my punishment. I will make another appointment with another doctor.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
gepocock said:
She told me I had diatetes because I drank alcohol too much, and that it was my wine drinking that was the problem and had caused it, flooding my system with sugar. Yes, I did drink nearly a bottle of wine a night, about 4 glasses a night, stressful job teaching! So guilty then. And this is my punishment. I will make another appointment with another doctor.

It is not your fault if you have diabetes - it's something that just happens. Although I must say that nearly a bottle of wine a night isn't very healthy! She shouldn't have said that to you. Good idea to change doctor!

Grazer

gepocock said:
She told me I had diatetes because I drank alcohol too much, and that it was my wine drinking that was the problem and had caused it, flooding my system with sugar. Yes,

I normally don't criticise doctors, because who are we to know better? But this time I'll make an exception. This is absolute nonsense!
There are no known links between drinking and diabetes, unless you have pancreitis as a result. Very littler sugar "Floods your system" as a result of wine. Quite the opposite. Alcohol actually lowers your sugar levels which is why diabetics on certain medications have to be wary of Hypos (going too low). There are sugars that result from beer, but wine has very few. In general terms, the stronger the alcohol, the more sugar has been distilled out to make that alcohol. Sounds like your doctor has her own agenda on alcohol. Having said that, you obviously shouldn't drink TOO much, and a bottle a day sounds a bit much! I love a good Rioja, and certainly exceed the recommended units, but have a few of days off during the week!
You need to see a different doctor and get some proper advice. There are also some excellent dietary ideas on this forum
Good luck! AND IT AINT YOUR FAULT!!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A meta-analysis 15 studies found that the risk of diabetes in those that drank the most alcohol was the same as those that drank none at all. So given everything else as equal, you and your doctor had similar risks of developing T2!
People who drank moderate amounts were actually at reduced risk.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/28/3/719.short
You are right to see another doctor.

sandy2011

Hi gepocock,
Welcome to the forum.
I am also a newbie here and I have a similar problem: I don't get a lot of advice from my doctor, she even wanted to say I didn't have T2..
I had some infection so I went to see her yesterday and also voiced my concerns about T2, I said I had put in my medical alert I had T2, and she said: that is only when you take insulin etc..My BP went up upon hearing that, I meant, having to deal with the disease is stressful enough, now I have to even make my case to her...

bpitbladdo

Hello.
I'm a newbie having just been diagnosed with Type 2 yesterday. I have however been expecting it as my mother and both my elder brothers developed it. I can understand about the "no advice given" experience as all I was given by the doctor was a single, badly photocopied 'diet' sheet and told to come back in 2 months with the hope that I can control the diabetes with diet and not medication. I need help as I find it all very confusing. I also have the added complication of having to drastically reduce my salt intake. (I have high BP). I wandered round the supermarket today trying to identfy suitable foods but my head exploded. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Bryan and welcome to the forum :) Here is some advice that might help you which we give to new members. I hope it is useful to you. Ask as many questions as you like as there is usually someone who can answer them.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405