No insulin and levels were consistently at 5??

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only 6 weeks into diabetes so I know it could be the honeymoon period? I didn't take any insulin for a day with any meals and throughout the day my levels were consistently at around 5!! I had taken my long lasting the night before so obviously that was still in my system. I know this sounds a little like denial but the doctors were so quick to put me onto insulin and I just worry all the guess work and ratio estimating is causing more damage? I know you can't just get over type 1 diabetes but are there different levels to which people can have it? Can I get it under control now or is it I'll get it under control and then just expect it to all go wrong somewhere? My friend is type 1 and has been for a few years and says now his levels are rarely over 7 and he just carries on as normal only difference is he has his insulin and checks his levels! Can this be the case if I know my body?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can I get it under control now or is it I'll get it under control and then just expect it to all go wrong somewhere?

It looks like you have got your diabetes under control @kellie lees

Make no mistake things can (and do change) over time with type 1 diabetes but with the right knowledge and understanding you can adjust to these changes. Take care.

Reactions: kellie lees

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bet you do still make insulin and have the capacity to secrete it in response to a rise in glucose. Wonder what your A1C was before you were started on insulin. And you may have altered your diet after you were diagnosed. After only 6 weeks there hasn't been time to adjust the 2 types of insulin yet either.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are honeymooning. A recently diagnosed type 1, especially an adult, will still be making some insulin.

Everyone's body is different. With type 1 eventually all of the insulin producing beta cells will be killed off by your immune system and you won't be making any insulin.

Your body might then react to exogenous insulin fairly consistently, or it might not. Depends what else is going on with your body.

My friend is type 1 and has been for a few years and says now his levels are rarely over 7 and he just carries on as normal only difference is he has his insulin and checks his levels! Can this be the case if I know my body?

That is what type 1 is. Carry on as normal. Check levels. Take insulin. The expectation that knowing your body is a factor seems to discount the importance of checking levels, but once you have some confidence in how your body reacts to the insulin, how much insulin you need to cover certain foods, that aspect of knowing your body should help. But it should go hand in hand with the testing.