No insulin at breakfast or Lunch.

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
I'm waiting to hear back from my diabetic nurse but I was hoping for a bit of advice whilst waiting.
I have not be able to take insulin at breakfast since I was diagnosed because I will have a Hypo before lunch. Recently I have also had to stopped taking insulin with my Lunch (for the same reason).
My BG's are fine (No ketones) but I have had a couple of incidents of confusion, not knowing where I am nd not being able to form a sentence.

What would people suggest I do? Is it okay to go without insulin for so long?

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm waiting to hear back from my diabetic nurse but I was hoping for a bit of advice whilst waiting.
I have not be able to take insulin at breakfast since I was diagnosed because I will have a Hypo before lunch. Recently I have also had to stopped taking insulin with my Lunch (for the same reason).
My BG's are fine (No ketones) but I have had a couple of incidents of confusion, not knowing where I am nd not being able to form a sentence.

What would people suggest I do? Is it okay to go without insulin for so long?

I suggest you need to alter your dose or eat appropriately in the mornings. I was initially on 10iu BID but got some bad hypos later in the morning, so after consultation and tweaking I am now on 4iu morning and 6-8iu evening. I presume ur on Basal-Bolus?

Another way is to "experiment" with food. This is a bit ambiguous I know but try different cereals or bread, or fruits and see how they alter ur BG. Also, dnt forget activity levels; the more active you are after breakfast the lower ur BG will be. I notice the difference at weekends when I am more sedentary after breakfast, my post-prand BG is comparably higher than during the week.

D

debbiiee

As my insulin requirment has suddenly dropped to almost nil, my GP prescribed me metformin alone stopping insulin. I am type 1 diagnosed 5 months ago. Is metformin alone given for any type 1s??? I am 20 years with BMI 19.5

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As my insulin requirment has suddenly dropped to almost nil, my GP prescribed me metformin alone stopping insulin. I am type 1 diagnosed 5 months ago. Is metformin alone given for any type 1s??? I am 20 years with BMI 19.5

Type 1's have the problem with the production of insulin from the panc. Metformin only increases the ability of the body tissue to use insulin; so that drug alone will not help. That is a gross summary. In the earlier days of Type 1 the panc is still producing some insulin and so metformin will likely be useful. However, after some time (different to us all) all the Beta cells will go and so no insulin will be produced; thus you will then have to use exogenous insulin.

Have they done blds to ID antibodies against your panc?

debbiiee

I have asked for that test. Whats the problem is I go low even if take minimal amount of insulin. My doc asked for a c-peptide test to make sure that I am in honeymoon period now.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App