No Longer Type 2 but, now ...

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If they have still admitted you have diabetes then you should be entitles to the annual eye and feet checks for sure........

anything could happen that could suddenly jump your HbA1c up higher............

you have been asked back in 12 months and were offered 6 months, this is also proof that you do still fall with in the diabetes family.......

its good to come off the medication of course, so well done....

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It all seems very variable how these things are dealt with. I'm still on the diabetic register, without any mention of moving. The only "concession" I have had thus far is, when discussion lipids/statins, was for the GP to agree that bearing in mind my track record the diabetes line of "all diabetics should have statins" could be softened a bit, but I think that's because I was winning the debate at the time. I reckon she has regrouped to have Round 2 after my next bloods which are due shortly.

In terms of the additional checks, I use Specsavers who do retinal screening routinely, and actually the optometrist I see there talks through it all. I would think it possible to pretty much replicate the foot checks if one is engaged. For me, I guess it depends where I feel mentally on losing the more regular HbA1cs, which might, over the longer term, act as a punctuation to ensure I don't get too blase.

Well done on your scores though. That's quite a transformation from your diagnostic numbers.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my last HbA1c was 42 and I have been told I can't have metformin anymore either. I still get the eye and feet checks though.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First, congrats. You're in charge of your condition and doing just fine.
Second, isn't this like a Carry On plot? The box-ticking is reaching epidemic proportions.
"A serious epidemic of box-ticking has spread to all surgeries in the Home Counties/West/North/South. Paper forms are running out, pens are running dry and several GPs have reported exploding Excel databases."
Cheered me up no end, thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, that is a brilliant reduction from your diagnosis scores.

My last HbA1c was 45. My nurse said "well done, that is under the diabetic level" No mention of coming off the register, next review in 6 months.
My GP still argued that as I'm diabetic I should be on statins, no matter what my HbA1c.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
officially I have Pre-Diabetes!

HbA1c result this morning was 45 mmol / mol - marginally higher than last one in July of 44 mmol / mol.

Practice Nurse took me off Diabetic register and moved me to pre-diabetic register.

I said "but, I still have Diabetes - it can't be cured can it?" The answer was "no it can't but, as you're under 48 mmol / mol you're in the pre diabetic range."
I asked what does that mean for me. Well:

1) Review in 12 months - I was offered a 6 month review.

2) No more Metformin.

3) No retinopathy scans.

4) No testing of the feet.

Personally, I think it's just a cost saving exercise based on HbA1c results.

To be fair I was told I could pop in to see them if I feel I have any issues.

Does this sound right and will it affect my free prescription status?
Should I now post in the Pre-Diabetes forum? ;)
Yes it does. If you're not on meds then your prescriptions aren't free once your exemption card runs out.

Bouncer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, that is a brilliant reduction from your diagnosis scores.

My last HbA1c was 45. My nurse said "well done, that is under the diabetic level" No mention of coming off the register, next review in 6 months.
My GP still argued that as I'm diabetic I should be on statins, no matter what my HbA1c.
I must post a warning here for general consideration. I was put on statins and became very ill. My GP gave me all the test that she could think off without finding any problems. this carried on with me continuing to feel dreadful. A few months ago I read a note on this forum that suggested that statins can cause problems. Against my GPs advice i stopped taking them and slowly my general well being has improved and I now feel better than I have for years. Statins is the only medication that I have stopped so my improvement can't be placed at any other door.
However my partner is also on statins and she has no side effects so it is not universal.
By the way I'm type 2 with no medication only diet controlled.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I must post a warning here for general consideration. I was put on statins and became very ill. My GP gave me all the test that she could think off without finding any problems. this carried on with me continuing to feel dreadful. A few months ago I read a note on this forum that suggested that statins can cause problems. Against my GPs advice i stopped taking them and slowly my general well being has improved and I now feel better than I have for years. Statins is the only medication that I have stopped so my improvement can't be placed at any other door.
However my partner is also on statins and she has no side effects so it is not universal.
By the way I'm type 2 with no medication only diet controlled.

Hi Bouncer,

There are dozens of threads on here about statins, their advantages and disadvantages. In the end it is personal choice. I chose not to take them mainly because they are known to raise BS levels in some people. This has caused several debates with my GP and finally a compromise that we would review the situation after my next blood tests. My next blood tests in fact showed a good improvement on my lipids through diet, and surprise, surprise, no letter from GP calling me in. My husband is on statins and is happy to be so, still with no side effects 4 years on.