No needle injections

Dollyrocker

I believe they're nay prescribed in very extreme cases as they are not 100% effective which will effect your control.

The Ben needles are very small, you can get 4mm ones now, and you really can't feel them 99% of the time. Do you have issues with needles? I'm squeamish about the ones that go in veins but I've not seen one f those in at least the last 10 years, most tests are done with a finger prick these days

tom79

Yes I seriously hate needles! When I had blood taken, I can feel myself almost passing out, but I think its like you say.. needles in veins is my real fear (had an issue with a doctor when i was a kid that left me with this issue)

They wanted to put a line in me in Hospital, I point blank refused, the doc was ok with it as it was not urgent just something they like to do, (phew)

Those pricks to test blood im fine with now, very painless and no problem what so ever (which is something!), a 4mm needle I might be ok with but I did like the idea of those needle free ones but if they are bad for control maybe it is dangerous? but they just seem nicer... Well ill see how I get on if I even need needles.

Got I must sound like a right softy :shock:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You are not the only softie ....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
It has been discussed here before and this I think was the best thread with some useful comments and information regarding the Injex Insulin Jet system. Have a read through it. I think most of your questions should be answered there.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15400&p=155233&hilit=injex

redrevis

From my experience GPs and hospitals are much happier prescribing the SQ Pen rather than the injex system. This is due to cost reasons and the fact that Injex do not send any reps to hospitals to train the staff so they do not like prescribing something they can't actually show 'the patient' how to use it. Also they SQ Pen has been around longer.
Unfortunately when the drug tarrif was last updated the SQ Pen was mistakenly removed by an 'admin error' and is in the process of being re-added to the system. I was told that as soon as it comes back on the system any GP will be able to find it and prescribe it. If you have a very proactive team that really wants to get a hold of one for you, they should be able to go direct to the manufacturers and get one. Unfortunately my team isn't 'that' proactive.
Hope that's some help. :)

p.s being a needle phobic is NOT being a softie. Big muscle men can be needle phobic too you know. I suppose people who don't have it will never understand. Same with any phobia really.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Tom,
I understand your concerns,but when you see the tiny needles used these days I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised. I use syringes and vials, and my syringe needles are significantly shorter and finer than when I was diagnosed in '89. The needle doesn't need to go deep, just under the skin.

As for phobias, I've always felt, and been made to feel like such a softy over my fear of swallowing tablets-same as you, result of a childhood experience. I've had anti-biotics in liquid form or broken capsules open, taste disgusting though :( Capsules terrify me, give me a needle (even a big one!)anyday! I'm improving, been able to take small-ish softgel capsules recently and feel quite proud of myself :D

Injections are usually painless as previous poster states. The only time it ever bothers me is during my period when my skin seems to be extra sensitive-you wont have that problem :lol:
Let us know how you get on
Jus :)

tom79

You made a good point janabelle/everyone else about needles, I just did my 1st jab with a 4mm (aparently they are new) and didnt feel a thing, It isnt the pain i fear/feared, its just needles, but when I think about it, my fear isnt needs its veins... I dont like them being moved.. pushed.. injected... to the point I refused point blank to one of those stay in things in your arm in hospital. "sure, you can put one in my arm, providing you can pin me down!" haha

The nurse said she can get me one of the needless ones but she had a patient use them and it caused a bruse, and pain and so switched back. I was insisting I would welcome pain and bruses anyday till I tried the needle and... I think I will just stay on needles, phobia over. If anyone new like me reads this I hope I can also put there mind at ease, I have found a great use of my little beer belly at least now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alaric

Hi, just want to put my tuppence worth in!. I've been Type 1 for 6 years & I detest needles. I was put on sharps that were 8mm. I couldn't even look whilst I injected & it usually took me 3 or 4 goes at having the jab!. I'm 6ft & 14 1/2 stone, not overweight by any stretch. These needles were never revised by my team because they were very bad at their job. I now have a new Practice nurse who has turned my life around with regards diabetes. I was getting very painful lumps & bumps from using these 8mm needles, she advised me that this size was mainly for ( sorry if you are reading this & disagree, it's only a quote ) overweight people and that I was actually injecting into my muscle. She put me onto these new 4mm needles, one word, AWESOME!!. Give them a go.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it's simply the sight of the needle that you're fearful of have you tried using a Penmate? If you search Google for penmate you'll find it on the NovoNordisk website. You still use a needle but it's better hidden which may ease your anxiety?