No symptoms

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed Type 2 in November 2009. Medication on it's own isn't working so I start Insulin injections on Monday.

My last HbA1c was 11.7.

The problem is that I have none of the physical symptoms associated with Diabetes so I'm finding it hard to get motivated or take it seriously.

Is it common to be Diabetic with none of the symptoms?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Yes I'm afraid it is Jim, thats why its called the silent killer.

Your A1c of 11.7 is just short of my own at diagnosis and I didnt have any symptoms until a week or so before diagnosis.

Running blood sugars at high levels can and does cause diabetic complications, these can include erectile dysfunction in men, cardiovascular disease, kidney failure, painful neuropathy especially in the legs and feet and retinopathy which can lead to blindness.

Getting your blood sugars under control and keeping them under good control is your best chance of avoiding these complications, dont be lulled into a false sense of security just because you feel OK, if you are running high blood sugars you are at risk of diabetic complications.

There are other medications other than Metformin and Glic, there are a couple of non insulin injectable medications that are available too. Definitely talk to your doctor about other meds but please dont just leave it, its your health thats at stake here.