No weight loss

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Phew...just read through the thread that is about 3 months old, the one about Trudi Deakins book. Noticed someone had said that people lose weight on a lchf diet.
I've said over again I haven't lost 1 lb. Many folk have been helpful in their advice, about why it wont shift. I have about 2 st to lose. After a hysterectomy and then the menopause I put on weight and got diabetes. Being skinny all my life and then to get this and then to follow/research everything about the disease and still not lose weight. I'm jealous of peoples weight loss. All power to you. I've asked to see an endo - sorry no spare cash. I've had my thyroid tested - its fine. Fair enough I'm not that consistent with exercise, but with throwing a kettle bell about for half an hour a day and still seeing no weight moving it becomes exasperating.
Anyway I've also said that I don't have a choice but to eat low carb, because it benefits my BS. Heyho have to carry on.

P.S. I've also done a fat fast - guess what...
This week I'm doing HIIT on a stationary bike. See if that makes any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have done everything known to man, no weight loss....... I feel your pain.

Ali

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
If you go low Carb, you need to get Carbs down to 25g or under, and you will loose weight.
Dr Tim Nokes preaches this, and I have heard of many successes, but no failures at this Carb level.
Why not give it a try for about 10 days, and I think you will win
Let me know ;)

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thank Randburg, like I said I've done the fat fast - google it its extreme low carb. I actually did it for a week when it said only do it for 4 days at the most.
pmsl still lost ****** all. I'm now going at it hard now keeping under 30 grams, if there is any success you will all be hearing from me.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Good luck, im waiting for the good news

G

graj0

Phew...just read through the thread that is about 3 months old, the one about Trudi Deakins book. Noticed someone had said that people lose weight on a lchf diet.
I've said over again I haven't lost 1 lb. Many folk have been helpful in their advice, about why it wont shift. I have about 2 st to lose. After a hysterectomy and then the menopause I put on weight and got diabetes. Being skinny all my life and then to get this and then to follow/research everything about the disease and still not lose weight. I'm jealous of peoples weight loss. All power to you. I've asked to see an endo - sorry no spare cash. I've had my thyroid tested - its fine. Fair enough I'm not that consistent with exercise, but with throwing a kettle bell about for half an hour a day and still seeing no weight moving it becomes exasperating.
Anyway I've also said that I don't have a choice but to eat low carb, because it benefits my BS. Heyho have to carry on.

P.S. I've also done a fat fast - guess what...
This week I'm doing HIIT on a stationary bike. See if that makes any difference.

It's quite possible that exercise will not make any difference, I hope it does, but don't hold your breath, unless you plan on doing 30 minutes and not at the lowest difficulty. Walking, if possible is also a very good exercise. I wish I knew the answer, all I can say is that there's a lot more to losing weight than dieticians even know about.

I went to my GP with a food diary which showed how much less than BMR I was eating, I had also spent 6 months going to the gym 3 days a week and swimming between 1/2 km and 1 km five days a week, I lost nothing, not an ounce. I only got to see an endocrinologist because I paid for it and all he could suggest was having a gastric band. I attended a couple of meetings of the support group and listening to how they liquidised chocolate and ice cream to get their calories up to 1200 a day was all the proof I needed that surgery wasn't for me. However, the critical thing for me was that after following advice from dieticians and GPs not to go less than BMR minus 500 calories, here was somebody actually advocating as little as 800 calories a day in total.

When I started low(er) carb, about 80gms a day and less than 1000 cals a day (BMR was 2200, I use the Harris Benedict formula) I did start to lose weight and lost 4 stone in 5 months, keeping an eye on the reducing BMR which isn't a problem when you're already eating more than a thousand calories less. Then nothing, then I had a TKR last November and lost 1 1/2 stone over christmas. Now nothing again and it's driving me bonkers.

All I can suggest is don't give up, cut the carbs and by that I mean the obvious pasta/rice/bread/potatoes and be careful about carbs in other foods like bananas. I'm not saying give them up but be mindful of how much carb is in everything. Keep a food diary, weigh everything and calculate exactly what you are eating, sometimes people have been surprised. Apologies if you're already doing these things.

Have a look at all your meds and see if any are likely to have an effect on your metabolism, anything that helps your pancreas produce more insulin is suspect. I have suspicions about statins because they prevent the uptake of CoQ10 used to help convert food to energy for the muscles. If the muscles aren't getting the energy you'll feel the muscle ache and where does the energy go? Stored as fat maybe? I have no empirical evidence, but I suspect any meds these days.

It's important not to give up and also to realise that weight loss can be a very complex thing. It isn't all about calories in and calories out. You might have to get into the working of the Krebs Cycle. OK if you're a biochemist, goes over my head, so I struggle. I just know my metabolism is broke.

All the best

Graham

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The best approach remains to have a low-carb diet. How far down you go will depend on your personal metabolism etc. My wife, for example, has to eat fewer carbs than me to maintain a good weight. I have around 150gm/day and my wife way below 100gm.

G

graj0

Noticed someone had said that people lose weight on a lchf diet.

I forgot to mention, the NHS is very keen to make everyone know that obese people are fat because they eat too much sugary and fatty foods. They've missed half the story, and so long as they think we're just over eaters, we're never going to get to the bottom of it.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thanks for your replies, weight loss certainly is a mystery. I'm 12 stone at 5ft 7. I'm not a great eater and I sometimes think that's a problem. I'm now eating breakfast for a change.
Days menu:
Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, or yogurt and berries - you know the drill
chicken with salad and homemade oil vinegar dressing
Tonight its meatza with salad.
Never did fizzy drinks or cakes etc.
So that's very low carb.
OMG just watching Diners and Drivebys with Guy Ferrari yuk the food the Americans eat.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have shed almost 3 stones since diagnosis in Jan following the LCHF, I'm probly doing about 60 Carbs a day'ish and I do have an under-active thyroid, I guess it just highlights the differences in people, although the rate at which the weight was coming off has slowed and I have a ways to go.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Been doing LCHF since end of Jan...... reading Bernstein and belong to two very strict low carb forums, track it all on MFP, still zilch! Pretty much all the carbs I eat are derived from veg and salad. There is no bread, pasta, rice blah blah blah to ditch now. I am not eating up to my calorie allowance, in fact it is set at 900 below aiming for 2 lb of weight loss a week, and I often I eat below that target too. Zilch. Good game isn't it!

Ali

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was at the 'nothing works' stage for years.
All I could do was watch my weight creep up, pound by pound, if I ever took my eyes off the ball.

I don't have any solution for you, except to say that very low carb works for me for BG control, better sleep, general wellness and an improved immune system and less achy joints.

But it doesn't do diddly squat for my weight unless the following additional elements are in place:

1. I must be firmly in ketosis (just low carbing isn't enough)
  2. I must be active (min 8000 steps a day, plus every flight of stairs I can find
  3. Enough sleep
  4. Enough water (1 litre for every 5 stone of body weight every day. Without fail)
Without ALL those being met, it ain't shifting.

And when it DOES shift, it does so very slowly. I hit a high point last summer, because of serious dog walking, where I actually lost 2lbs in a month! Stunning. It is usually 1/4 of that.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Im a skinny type 2 and have lost 2 stone keeping my BS down and low carbing.trying to maintain my weight .
Hubby is not diabetic but has 3 stone to lose,he is eating the same as me and not loseing anything.

G

graj0

I was at the 'nothing works' stage for years.
All I could do was watch my weight creep up, pound by pound, if I ever took my eyes off the ball.

I don't have any solution for you, except to say that very low carb works for me for BG control, better sleep, general wellness and an improved immune system and less achy joints.

But it doesn't do diddly squat for my weight unless the following additional elements are in place:

1. I must be firmly in ketosis (just low carbing isn't enough)
  2. I must be active (min 8000 steps a day, plus every flight of stairs I can find
  3. Enough sleep
  4. Enough water (1 litre for every 5 stone of body weight every day. Without fail)
Without ALL those being met, it ain't shifting.

And when it DOES shift, it does so very slowly. I hit a high point last summer, because of serious dog walking, where I actually lost 2lbs in a month! Stunning. It is usually 1/4 of that.

Very interesting, and I'm not disagreeing. 2 and 3, absolutely no question, 1, yes from what I've read. 4? Just an observation, if I drank 4 litres or 7 pints of water every day (I fluctuate between 18 1/2 st and 19 1/2 st), I'd never get my shoes on. It's a very individual thing affected by how our liver, kidneys and heart are performing and it might be worth looking out for signs of over hydration like nausea, vomiting, headache and changes in mental state and more seriously muscle weakness, spasms or cramps, seizures, unconsciousness, and worse case scenario, coma. It's going to be different for everyone.

In the last week alone my weight has changed by 3.5 kgs, mostly fluid I expect, perhaps it was the eclipse. LOL Water consumption is a very interesting topic and I'd be careful about forcing water down my throat. I'm always amused by the fact that we seem to be the only species that needs an instruction manual when it comes to water consumption.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a very individual thing affected by how our liver, kidneys and heart are performing and it might be worth looking out for signs of over hydration like nausea, vomiting, headache and changes in mental state and more seriously muscle weakness, spasms or cramps, seizures, unconsciousness, and worse case scenario, coma. It's going to be different for everyone.

In the last week alone my weight has changed by 3.5 kgs, mostly fluid I expect, perhaps it was the eclipse. LOL Water consumption is a very interesting topic and I'd be careful about forcing water down my throat. I'm always amused by the fact that we seem to be the only species that needs an instruction manual when it comes to water consumption.

They're the same side effects I get from dehydration, certainly is strange!

G

graj0

They're the same side effects I get from dehydration, certainly is strange!

A couple of things that will be different, if over-hydrated there shouldn't be any problem with:-
  • sweating
  • urine output
  • Dry mouth and swollen tongue
The two extremes of hydration are as bad as each other. WebMD suggests a visit to A&E if experiencing any of the symptoms that I've mentioned.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of things that will be different, if over-hydrated there shouldn't be any problem with:-
  • sweating
  • urine output
  • Dry mouth and swollen tongue
The two extremes of hydration are as bad as each other. WebMD suggests a visit to A&E if experiencing any of the symptoms that I've mentioned.

Dehydration can be quite a common problem if you have a stoma. The usual advice from stoma nurses is to have full sugar coke and packets of crisps to treat it! :eek:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Water consumption is a very interesting topic and I'd be careful about forcing water down my throat. I'm always amused by the fact that we seem to be the only species that needs an instruction manual when it comes to water consumption.

What started me on the water drinking experiments was a poster I saw in the gym.
It showed a number of different colours and said 'What colour is yours?'
I had honestly thought that I was drinking enough - I was certainly drinking enough to avoid thirst.
But my pee was definitely too dark.
It was about the time I hit the Big D, and I had become aware of how important it is to be kind to your kidneys.

so I started to drink more, mainly water. And my goodness, what a difference it has made.
My pee is now a perfect colour.
I feel subtly better on all levels.
My weight no longer fluctuates day to day (that is also the VLCing I think)
I've learned to read my body's very subtle symptoms for the onset of dehydration.

Its been a fascinating learning curve.

I had no idea at all, but it turns out that I had been running with mild dehydration for years.

G

graj0

What started me on the water drinking experiments was a poster I saw in the gym.
It showed a number of different colours and said 'What colour is yours?'
I had honestly thought that I was drinking enough - I was certainly drinking enough to avoid thirst.
But my pee was definitely too dark.

Hopefully I didn't come across as disagreeing as I'm not. I've actually got a copy of that poster, or similar, on a piece of laminated A4. If anybody is interested:

hydration_zpst9qzzbd0.png

I have used it although the one I have has a completely clear box and suggests that it is over hydrated. I tend to rely on my thirst although that can persuade me to drink gallons. One thing to look out for is the effect of certain supplements and from what I've been told, foods as well.