Noborabid and Lantus dose

harreni

Hi all,

My daughter has diabetes and she is 6years old and 117CM and 22.5 KG weight. She is using Lantus and Novorapid injections.

I want to ask here:

• When the correct BS test should be, is it before a meal or two hours later?
• How the doctors calculating the Noborabid and Lantus dose? What the way they are using?
• What the maximum daily dose of Novorapid and Lantus?
• How can I know if the Lantus is stopped working at any time? Because the Novorapid can be noticed by measuring the BS after meal but Lantus cannot is tested?

Thanks a lot for your usual support.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, hopefully a parent will be along to answer your questions better than I can.

• When the correct BS test should be, is it before a meal or two hours later?
The UK guidelines for children say
Children with Type 1 diabetes (NICE 2004)
Before meals: 4-8mmol/l
Two hours after meals: less than 10mmol/
But with children the targets should also be individual and discussed with your doctor

• How the doctors calculating the Noborabid and Lantus dose? What the way they are using?
Intially I think they would use the child's weight and their experience and whether the child has DKA (many children do on diagnosis) They would adjust by results
• What the maximum daily dose of Novorapid and Lantus?
Dose will depend on size, activity, food eaten etc Some large adults can take large amounts. You have to be guided by your doctor. As you get more experience you will learn to make small changes yourself.
• How can I know if the Lantus is stopped working at any time? Because the Novorapid can be noticed by measuring the BS after meal but Lantus cannot is tested?
Novorapid takes 4-5 hours to be used up (towards the end of the period there is very little working). If blood glucose levels rise or fall after this period it is most probably a result of the lantus dose ( assuming no extra exercise or an illness which can alter glucos levels) It is very unlikely the lantus will stop working completely. The only thing that might cause that is freezing it or letting it get very hot.