Nocturnal Hypoglycemia - Night Time Hypo

mchphoto

This came up as part of my facebook application and led me to a write up on this subject on this subject and I need some more info on this before I go to my doctor tomorrow about my distrbed sleep pattens and feeling tired which are 2 of the 4 main symptons of this.

I am T2 and on metformin, check my sugars before bedtime typically around 6-7 and in the monring low 6's sometimes mid 5's all going well,

So the question is : can your blood sugar go down to a hypo level, you have the "attack" without knowing the cause at night and then when you wake apart from feeling tired your surgar levels are OK, as your body has reacted correctly in the night to bring your sugar levels up to an accecptable level.

I have on a few occasions woken up very hot and dry mouth, I have a drink to cool down and I am then OK for the rest of the night

Does anyone have any answers or suggestions, as I have had 2 hypos and measured them and they were 2.8 and below, but I have never throught of checking when I wake for a few seconds and then go back to sleep, perhaps I will try this from now on to see if I am getting a hypo.

Also on the other side, how do you stop them from happening, e.g. what should your blood sugar level be to try and prevent this from happening?

Thanks in advance

Michael

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Hello there, I have also read the recent post on facebook. I often wake up with these symptoms but have never before considered nocturnal hypo as a possible cause. I am also on metformin. I take 4 x 500mg S R with my evening meal as prescribed. Just wondered if you take your medication in the evening too and if this could contribute to the drop in levels during the early hours? Perhaps something you could ask your GP? Has anyone else had this experience?

LittleWolf

I feel this several nights a week and have had reactive hypos in my sleep a couple hours after dinner when I felt dizzy, three up etc blood sugar 2.5-3.8 every time. Only worked it out by testing myself, my doctor still thinks it's in my head

You are diagnosed diabetic though so they might listen to you, however I keep hearing that T2s can't really have a hypo. Well I think it does happen in prediabetics and other endocrine disorders too.

My levels before bed are about the same as you. But I think the worse the night hypo the worse the rebound high. Like I've woken up nearing 20 and feeling like I haven't drank water in a year, groggy, headache because I went low the *in the night*

Yes, it happens and sleep depravation can do all sorts of stuff to you. I should know I was insomniac before this anyway. It really does affect your moods, cognition and you may even hallucinate. Apparently sleep deprivation contributes to insulin resistance so its a vicious cycle.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App