Nocturnal sweats. Causes?

MarathonMan81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of times now i've been waking up 2am/3am profusely sweating! :***:
I thought it's because of night-time hypo's but on the occasions i can be bothered to take a reading i normally have a BG of 6 or even higher. So could it be my body reacting to a liver dump instead or something else? :?:
Ta!

LittleWolf

That's weird huh.

I used to have frequent reactive hypos at the same times from dinner and still occasionally wake up feeling like that but levels are normal too. Could be you woke up just after the liver dump so you're a little 'behind' what's going on, or maybe you've web running higher than normal lately and a drop to 6 feels like a hypo? It's happened when I'm awake at night, too. You'd swear you were having a full-on hypo.. :/

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure of the medical explanation but it does happen to quite a few diabetics. If it's a new thing that's happening though it might be an idea to mention it to your doctor as there are various causes that could require more attention. :)

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
I suffered with these for a few years when I was following NHS dietary guidelines.

I don't test and I'm on no medication. I just rely on 4-monthly Hba1C tests to check how effective my diet and exercise control is.

However, I am aware when I'm letting my diet and exercise regime get out of hand. At these times I can correlate night-sweats with poor diet i.e. eating too much and too many carbs. If I keep my carbs under control then I don't get night sweats.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
DalstonPaul said:
I tried a Magnesium supplement, and it worked. Nothing fancy, just Holland and Barret stuff.

Why? what is magnesium supposed to do? What led you to try this? You surely only take something if you have a reasonable idea of the cause of the problem and the pathway that the 'medication' takes.
We are all ears on this one.

jennyleach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All processed foods, rice, pasta and potatoes
I have the same problem with the nocturnal sweats and find my sugars about normal ....but I am also sometimes waking with leg cramps as well...would also like to know about the magnesium tablets and why they help please

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
jennyleach said:
I have the same problem with the nocturnal sweats and find my sugars about normal ....but I am also sometimes waking with leg cramps as well...would also like to know about the magnesium tablets and why they help please

Jenny - if you are sweating regularly and profusely then the cramps may be something as simple as loss of the body's electrolytes through sweat, in a similar way to the way an athlete does. A simple sure for that is to add a bit of salt to your diet, drink plenty and maybe experiment with a 'dioralyte' sachet - these a simple non-prescription rehydration drinks available from any pharmacist.

candiloo

I have to say that although I am post menopausal, I thought I would stop with the sweats, but I do wake up in the night and if it isn't a hypo, I just have to have a little drink and keep the fan on by the bed. I must say though, I am a night worker, and I only get this if I sleep at night, not if I am asleep during the day, which is bizzare.