1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

non diabetic bg 160

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Galen1595, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Galen1595

Galen1595 Type 1 · Member

Hi diabetes forum, I just tested my friends bg for fun after eating sushi and it was 160. thoughts? think she might me prediabetic?

2. mentat

mentat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's not uncommon for a healthy person's blood sugar to rise that much straight after food. But if it goes much higher or stays there a while then there can be a concern.

(Note for others: 160mg/dL is 8.8mmol/L.)

3. Galen1595

Galen1595 Type 1 · Member

thank you! and I totally forgot you use mmol/L

4. pleinster

pleinster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The important questions are a] What exactly had your friend eaten or had to drink in the hour or so before testing?
    b] What was the blood sugar level before eating (which presumably you don't know)?
    c] What is it 2 hours after eating (and is it more than 2.5 mmols higher than it was before)?
    d] Does your friend have any other readings to compare it to (one reading tells you very little)?
    e] How clean was i] the strip ii] your friend's hand/finger?
    You can't draw any conclusions unless it is sky high.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook