Non diabetic Hypoglycaemia insulin & cortisol test

Jey

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all my insulin is 16.4% cortisol 552. Does any one understand them nr.? My GP can't tell me! Thankful for any advice and help

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all my insulin is 16.4% cortisol 552. Does any one understand them nr.? My GP can't tell me! Thankful for any advice and help
Hey Jey!
Welcome from a fellow non diabetic hypoglycaemic.
My condition is Late Reactive Hypoglycaemia. I have learnt so much on diet and how to get in control. The knowledge is unsurpassed and the people are so friendly.
Read around especially the thread 'can we have a forum on reactive hypoglycaemia'. Just go to the search function.
What do you do to stay in control?

Welcome again.

Reactions: 5 people

Jey

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Hey Jey!
Welcome from a fellow non diabetic hypoglycaemic.
My condition is Late Reactive Hypoglycaemia. I have learnt so much on diet and how to get in control. The knowledge is unsurpassed and the people are so friendly.
Read around especially the thread 'can we have a forum on reactive hypoglycaemia'. Just go to the search function.
What do you do to stay in control?

Welcome again.

Jey

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nosher8355 do u mind when i ask what late rh means? Do u have episode or constant low blood sugar?! Befor u had it under control. I have it for a 1 1/2 years. It is getting worse! For a while I thought I have it under control, I was wrong! What side effect it has or had on u'r body? Do u have or had low blood pressure too? Thank u for u'r reply

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jey - I'm going to ask @Brunneria to drop by, as she has suffered with hypoglycaemia in the past, and is also extremely knowledgeable. She works, so may not be able to respond for some hours.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Nosher8355 do u mind when i ask what late rh means? Do u have episode or constant low blood sugar?! Befor u had it under control. I have it for a 1 1/2 years. It is getting worse! For a while I thought I have it under control, I was wrong! What side effect it has or had on u'r body? Do u have or had low blood pressure too? Thank u for u'r reply
Hi Jey if you are experiencing low blood sugars and blood pressure then you are being investigated for Addison's disease.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Jey. Late RH is a condition which means you are literally flushing insulin, sorcery time I eat that makes my BSLs spike will give me a hypo after 3-4 hours after eating.

There is a discussion on the thread 'can we have a forum on reactive hypoglycaemia' use the search.
It is a very interesting read.

Also my own thread from last summer 'according to my consultant'

There are other threads as well. Most hypoglycamics are diet controlled.

I am on a gliptin to prevent hypos. There is a lot more science.
Let us know how you are doing. What your diet is, what sort of hypoglycaemia etc.

No I don't have low BP. In fact at the moment it's the lowest it's been since way back.

Keep posting mate.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, Jey.

Here's the link to the thread that @nosher8355 mentioned.
It explains how reactive hypoglycaemia works.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...orum-section-on-reactive-hypoglycaemia.65454/
I was checked out for Addisons about 15 yrs ago. Have they done a 24 hr urine collection?
Or maybe they do things differently nowadays.

Do you have low blood sugar episodes, or is your blood sugar constantly low?

And when are your next set of tests?

I ask because it would probably be a bad idea to make any diet or lifestyle changes until you have a clear diagnosis. You wouldn't want to change something that might affect the results!

But in the meantime, I'm sure we are all happy to answer any questions, if we are able.

(My low blood sugar episodes never seemed to be linked to low blood pressure.)

Jey

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all Thank us so much. I have low blood sugar episodes but have more and longer episodes. last I had was for couple of weeks. Reduced a lot of sugar, more food I prepared my self and bread specialy for low GI. And still I was low! Sometimes I had befor dinner 3.8 after a good dinner (veg, chicken) 2 h later I had 3.4. Sometimes my body reacts by 3.8 sometimes I don't feel much until it gets to 3.2/3. Get blurry vision, trembling, dizzy and week. Take care and thanks on all of u's

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all Thank us so much. I have low blood sugar episodes but have more and longer episodes. last I had was for couple of weeks. Reduced a lot of sugar, more food I prepared my self and bread specialy for low GI. And still I was low! Sometimes I had befor dinner 3.8 after a good dinner (veg, chicken) 2 h later I had 3.4. Sometimes my body reacts by 3.8 sometimes I don't feel much until it gets to 3.2/3. Get blurry vision, trembling, dizzy and week. Take care and thanks on all of u's
If I was you I would definitely go back to my GP and insist on a referral to a endocrinologist. A lot more is happening than you say. Ask him why you are having frequent hypos after meals and also about the consistent 'lows' you are having.
Another visit to the docs would help you anyway. Please keep posting and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes.

Jey

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been by a endocrinologist but he told me that's all normal and my body is just reacting more extreme. He had no interest at all. Got a blood test to find out about my insulin! Have no more tests! I'm back by my GP he is on again by the endocrinologist. U had it difficult to get a diagnose of rh? Did Doctors took u serious at the beginning?!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My diagnosis took a couple of years and many tests. My endocrinologist still had to rule out such as pancreatitis and cancer. But a 72hour fasting confirmed it!
A couple of hypos At the docs office got me a referral. Also had a couple for my endocrinologist to add to the others!
I am still fighting my corner to be treated fairly by my GP. And no only my endo had a clue what was going on. the rest didn't have a clue.
I'm still to have tests, one is an five hour OGGT.
This where you are given an oral glucose solution to drink.
They monitor your bloods and take bloods every half hour and record them. The reason it's a 5 hour test is because my condition is 'late RH' I hypo between 3 and a half hours and five hours after taking the glucose solution.

Before diagnosis and meds I was eating around seven small meals a day, very low carbs and no sugar.
You could say I'm allergic to carbs and sugars. I 'react' I flush insulin.
If you look at Wikipedia about RH you will get a lot of info about the condition.
There are many different conditions concerning hypoglycaemia. Some are diabetic. Others including mine is non diabetic. Though it can occur later, as it did with @Brunneria. My diet will probably help me prevent that.

Hope this helps.
Keep posting, ask questions.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have been by a endocrinologist but he told me that's all normal and my body is just reacting more extreme. He had no interest at all. Got a blood test to find out about my insulin! Have no more tests! I'm back by my GP he is on again by the endocrinologist. U had it difficult to get a diagnose of rh? Did Doctors took u serious at the beginning?!

Hi Jey, please ask your GP if the test results mean you have Addison's disease. GP might not of thought of it as it's quite rare and nt many GP's come across it in general practice.
I know when I was diagnosed with Addison's disease I was not taking my insulin and still having to eat about 500 carbs a day just to be able to stand up as so hypo.

Jey

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, it is a lot u went through, it's so difficult to make Docters believe u! A Docter told me after seeing me 3times I have mental health problems! I do know that's not what it is. Had 2 glucose test with drinks but at that time I always had hypos in the evening/ night time. I measured low and after taking Lucosade or Dextrose, 15/20min later it stoped . Now I get low during the day when I have a episode and eat nearly the whole day! Bs never goes over 5 mostly stays around 4.5 and after 2h it is under 4 again. Hope u's have a good day

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Doctors don't know everything sometimes you have to suggest things and some endos won't even admit to hypoglycaemia as it mimics T2.
I do believe it is a form of hypoglycaemia but follow up on the Addisons as well.
One trick I learnt if I felt rough was to stop eating or fasting for a period to get my bloods normal. As I wouldn't go hypo this way.
If you are eating, low carb, very small plates every couple of hours and test, test, test. Keep a food diary along with your blood glucose levels. Then you are armed with info for your GP.
I would still bother your GP tho!
Obviously something's not right!

Jey

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Thank u i take that all on board. At the moment my bs are back to normal! I wish u's all a nice weekend and take care