Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hello,

I was talking to a friend of a friend recently who was very interested in low-carb diets because the thinks her 10 year old daughter (who is not a diabetic) is having a lot of difficulty eating carbs/sugars.

She describes her as becoming emotionally unbalanced; angry, hyper, tearful even a short while after she eats sweet food (like cake or chocolate).

I've not really heard of that before, the symptoms did seem like a hypo to me. Does anyone have any experience of that? Could it be too much insulin being released in the face of sugary foods which then results in a blood sugar crash?

Bit of an odd one this; the mother said that she's managed to regulate her daughters behaviour in the morning by not giving her any carbs; she's move her from breakfast cereals to bacon and eggs which seems to be working very well. The mother also says that she gets very hungry and needs to eat often throughout the day or she get ratty and annoyed (she is slim and not a diabetic either).

Many thanks

Dillinger

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Dillinger,
I have reactive hypoglycaemia. I am not diabetic.
There is now on the ask a question forum where you can read at your leisure, how kit affects people.
@Brunneria will give the links required, there is also a page on the home page into hypoglycaemia.
If you need info or want questions asked ask in the thread in ask a question.

I am on meds but without the meds, I am totally allergic to them. I have had all the symptoms and more.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Have a read of these threads.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...-on-reactive-hypoglycaemia.65454/#post-648596

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/reactive-hypoglycemia.63444/#post-618401

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ance-little-advice-from-gp.63007/#post-612556

The main problem we RHers seem to have, is getting any HCP to recognise that the symptoms aren't figments of our imagination. Then, once it has been recognised, it's difficult to find someone who has a clue how to treat it!

But low carbing was definitely the best thing for me.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it is hypoglycaemia, reactive hypoglycaemia is only one of several possible causes so it's wrong to make a guess.
Here's that seems to be a good summary of some of the causes of non diabetic hypoglycaemia .
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/hypoglycemia/db099105.pdf

Healthy individuals should have systems that work as they are meant to do. Adults should be capable of eating carbs or of fasting for fairly long periods without problems. Children are less able to fast and will become hypo if they go too long without food. |However they also should be producing the right amounts of insulin/glucagon to keep blood glucose nicely balanced. If not something is not right it should be investigated.

( Where I'm coming from: Nosher's condition is not supposed to be common nor are adrenal tumours but when I was in hospital at diagnosis, I met a young woman who had one . It was benign but inoperable but unfortunately it's position meant that it caused hypos . Unfortunately the treatment resulted in a very 'brittle' diabetes. )

If this child has hypoglycaemia or anything else then it would be important to check out the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If it is hypoglycaemia, reactive hypoglycaemia is only one of several possible causes so it's wrong to make a guess.
Here's that seems to be a good summary of some of the causes of non diabetic hypoglycaemia .
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/hypoglycemia/db099105.pdf

Healthy individuals should have systems that work as they are meant to do. Adults should be capable of eating carbs or of fasting for fairly long periods without problems. Children are less able to fast and will become hypo if they go too long without food. |However they also should be producing the right amounts of insulin/glucagon to keep blood glucose nicely balanced. If not something is not right it should be investigated.
( Where I'm coming from: Nosher's condition is not supposed to be common nor are adrenal tumours but when I was in hospital at diagnosis, I met a young woman who had one . It was benign but inoperable but unfortunately it's position meant that it caused hypos . Unfortunately the treatment resulted in a very 'brittle' diabetes. )

If this child has hypoglycaemia or anything else then it would be important to check out the cause.
Thanks Phoenix,
That's a really useful link, really good information.
And I also agree about seeking medical advice before deciding on a course of action.
There are even different forms of reactive hypoglycaemia.
Once you can convince docs that there's something going on there are a number of tests.

However, I disagree about how non diabetics treat there hypo, it should not involve high carbs or sugars. That will only exacerbate the hypo.

Told you I was 'rare';):)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The child's GP would be the first port of call. Children do need to be seen sooner rather than later. I hope the little girl can get a proper diagnosis and with the right treatment if needed.

RRB

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The main problem we RHers seem to have, is getting any HCP to recognise that the symptoms aren't figments of our imagination. Then, once it has been recognised, it's difficult to find someone who has a clue how to treat it!

Ohh... What would a doctor do if you came over with a BG meter showing a hypo number? Disregard it? :(

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
He would treat it like a T1 would with lucozade.

That's not what @Brunneria meant!

Doctors have difficulty diagnosing non diabetic hypoglycaemia. Only tests can and you need to be referred or go to a private clinic if you can persuade them.
Most GPs would not be trained to recognise and believe that a hypo is usual for all types of diabetics.

Like myself it took many years and many trips to the doctors to insist I got referred.

Some older endocrinologists don't even recognise that there is a condition of different hypoglycaemia and would be treating with drugs and probably insulin and still not know what's going on.

This last bit came from my consultant.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sounds to me as if it is a reaction to E numbers rather than reducing the carbs.

I know of a young boy that was an absolute nightmare until his mother stopped giving him E numbers. I seriously mean he was pretty evil at 8 with his mood swings.. Geabbing knives and throwing furniture etc.

He had drank a lot of sunny delight (as was in those days)... And a lot of **** despite him living decent, proper food.

Anyway his mother checked everything for E numbers eslecially the higher numbered ones. Pretty much eliminated them from diet and this boy literally changed over night. No more awful tantrums...