Non-existent weight loss

Becks20

Hello All. I have been diagnosed as type 2 since June last year & have since stopped snacking all day, cut out white pasta & bread. I reduced the amount I put on my plate. Started eating more veg & cut out a lot of carbs. Cut down on full fat ribena etc. I have lost approx 2-4 kg which really isn't much over a year. The dietician and diabetes nurse are both saying I am doing really well & they are pleased, but I'm not. I have been thinking about trying weight loss pills & wondered if anyone has any thoughts on these as they are very expensive. Or if not, some ideas to help kick start the weight loss would be great.
Thanks for reading my essay, from a very frustrated type 2
Becks :-(

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Becks!

Do you have a carb-counter book? It may be worth writing down absolutely everything you eat in a day and working out exactly how many carbs you are having in a day. It sounds to me as if you may be following the NHS Diet guidelines, which many of us on here have found do not work for us.

For instance, you say "cut down" on Ribena. If you are still drinking it sometimes, it's worth knowing that 20ml of undiluted Ribena Original (makes 1 glass, with water) has 46g carb - that's more than I have in a whole day. A 288ml carton of Ribena Blackcurrant Juice Drink has 147g carb. That's a small carton!

Edit: MANY APOLOGIES - I managed to read the wrong column in the Calorie Carb & Fat Bible last night. The correct carb figures for the Ribena are as follows: Ribena Original, 20ml, which they call 1 serving, has 57g carb. The Blackcurrant Juice Drink 288ml carton has 12.6g carb. The figures I posted above are the calorie content. Sorry for the confusion!

Get into the habit of reading labels and being aware of what you eat. You're on the right lines with cutting out the obvious carbs, stopping the snacks and eating more veg, but those darn carbs can be hidden and creep in somehow - even in veg :shock: .

Have a look at Viv's Modified Atkins Diet in the Sticky Threads section. That's the diet I do my best to keep to (we all have the odd failure :oops: ). It is extremely low carb - you may not want to go so low - but you will lose weight on it, I promise. And your BGs will get lower too. And your blood pressure and cholesterol. If you want a few more carbs, buy a Carb Counter book and add in a few more carbs from the lower carb and Low GI foods that will be listed. Ask any questions you like - there are many people on here who are very experienced in low carb and will be only too happy to help.

I can understand your frustration - I've lost 4.5/5st so far, but I've been stuck for a few months and I'm cross - I've another 5 stone to go! :shock: . But it's my fault - I've been drinking too much wine since Christmas! :oops: That is, more than 'very occasionally'! Once I get back in control of that, the weight will start to go again.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with my BG levels than my weight at the moment, and those are now normally within the non-diabetic range. Time to attack the weight again.

Let us know how you go on - we're all here to help.

Viv 8)

Becks20

Hi Viv,

Thank you for your reply. I don't have a carb counter book. Where is the best place to get one, and which is the best one to get?
To be honest, I didn't think Ribena had that many carbs in (stupidly), I know it is full of sugar but that many carbs in ONE cup?!? :(

I am currently drinking 7-up Free or Sprite Free. I know you say diet drinks are full of carbs, probably a daft question, but are the "free" versions also full of carbs?

I struggle with food to be honest. If I cut out most carbs, I will end up eating chicken, tuna, lettuce, broccolli, ham, eggs, cheese, mushrooms and mayonnaise. Thats about it...

I don't like onions or nuts in my food or on their own. I tend to have cereal for breakfast with skimmed milk, as it is quite quick to make.

If I try new foods, I tend to bring them back up, so I am kind of stuck in a rut.

I had a look at your diet, but I don't think I could stick to it, but I am going to give it a go.

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the late reply (I had to do a LOT of thinking about your diet).

Becks

BeccaJaneStClair

I don't have any Ribena right now, but my bottle of Tesco Apple & Black no sugar added says it has 3.3g of carb per 100ml of which sugars 2.8g

As far as soda goes, my tin of Pepsi Max says it has .1g of carbs per 100ml and 0 sugar. I bought one of the "cubes" of 250ml tins a few weeks back and I treat myself on occasion to a tin of it...otherwise I usually drink sparkling water with a lemon or lime wedge or diet tonic water when I want something fizzy.

I struggle with food to be honest. If I cut out most carbs, I will end up eating chicken, tuna, lettuce, broccolli, ham, eggs, cheese, mushrooms and mayonnaise. Thats about it...

Looks like the start of a pretty good salad.... ;)

Hope that helps!