1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Non-Invasive blood checking

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by tommyj, Dec 3, 2010.

1. tommyj

tommyj · Member

After doing a bit of rummaging around on the interweb for the best meters available, I found this article outlining the work of some genius in MIT who has just started a trial (September 2010) on this (Sorry if this is a repost or rehash of a previous discussion!)

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2010/au...ng-innovation-non-invasive-glucose-sensor.htm

What does the board think? Have there been rumours of such things before or is there really light at the end of the tunnel from those annoying meters?

2. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

every so often i hear about it but think we are stuck with what weve got :)

3. Hobs

Hobs Type 2 · Master

All the investment bound up in finger lancing and test strips will ensure this gets kicked into the long grass.

4. Gazhay

Gazhay · Well-Known Member

Exactly. The manufacturers are not interested in replacing strips and lancets, as that's how they make their money.

Non-invasive test kit would have to be priced to reflect the loss they would get from that, and the development costs of a new machine.

5. ruralweb

ruralweb Type 1 · Member

LADAR - Laser chemical detection systems have been available for many years now so this may not be so far fetched as it may seem. The problem will be size but as most will know there are already oxygen monitoring systems for hospitals that fit on a patients finger

6. Hobs

Hobs Type 2 · Master

You can buy small portable finger-clip PulseOx battery operated monitors from many suppliers now .. I have one.
    I occasionally suffer breathing problems and this lets me know if I am absorbing enough O2 or maybe heading for trouble and A&E.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook