Non 'slimline' drinks

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
This weekend I ordered a 'gin and slimline' at the bar, turned away to speak to a friend, turned back and the bar chap was pouring my tonic into the glass for me, and it was only because I am little miss paranoid that I asked to see the bottle! he knew exaclty what I meant as he instantly said 'oops, sorry, you did ask didn't you!' and had to go somewhere to get some slimline so I think the little blighter was too busy (or too lazy!) to go and get me what I had asked for!

Sorry, just having a rant :wink:

iHs

I'm sure this type of thing goes on everywhere :roll: There was a thread posted some time ago on this forum where Dr Katherine I think said to carry some Clinistix strips on a night out or trip to the pub or restaurant. By dipping the strip in a glass of drink, you can tell if it contains sugar or not and then have a go at the bar staff for not giving you a 'diet' or 'slimline'.

Even though diabetes is on the increase, you'll find that the average 'Joe Bloggs' person is clueless on what it means for us all using insulin.

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
i carry Clinistix strips also now.Everytime i go to a restaurant or pub i dont really trust anyone with the slimeline drinks even when i ask them if its definately slimline .Many a time ive had a drink with loads of sugar in after dipping clinstix in and now i dont care i just go up to bar and tell them. we diabetics have to especially us type 1s because it is so dangerous.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
where do you get the Clinistix strips from?

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can buy Clinistix or Diastix from chemists or online. If you're lucky your gp may provide them - if you tell him it's for urine testing rather than drink testing. Mine refused on the grounds that "you'd know within half an hour if you'd drunk non-diet".

iHs

I think they sell for about £5 so not really expensive for the peace of mind they can give you.

I used them years ago now to test my urine when I was in my late teens early 20's.

debbietowns

My 12 year old son, had the same problem last night. We ordered a diet coke but when he felt 'strange' we checked his BG and it had shot up to 26. So i think the coke which was not out of a can or bottle but off the pump thingy was wrong.

We have said to him we will double check when we order in future and make sure the bar staff don't make this mistake again.

To get his level down he had 2 units of Novorapid and it dropped to 8 and then right down to 3 and he had a hypo. we ended up giving him full sugar coke to get him out of the hypo then some carbs snacks. I wa still up at 3am watching him sleep scared to take my eyes off him, just because of a mistake in a pub.

He is apparently honeymooning at the moment so his levels are all over the place and he is not on any regular injections. Diagnosed end Nov 09.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Goodness Debbie, that sounds like a scary experience! Poor boy. Learning curve for you all I guess, we have to be so vigilant when out and about as bar staff and the like just don't understand the importance (not that they do it on purpose, I hope!). Hope it gets easier for you and your son when he stops honeymooning, you should get more of an idea of how to correct highs and lows and he will understand them more and recognise his own warning signs :)

I was designated driver a few years ago on a night out in Cardiff. I'd had three glasses before it was my round. I watched her do it and whn I pulled her up on it she said "Coke's coke t blokes". I went mad. As I was telling a friend about it a few months later (a bar manageress) she advised that I always buy a bottle of Cola because staff regularly conncet the wrong soda pipes to the wrong pump.