Normal fasting blood glucose level?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If a non-diabetic does a test after having fasted for 14 hours is a reading of 5.8mmoL considered normal? I somehow had in my head that a fasting reading should be in the 4s for a non-diabetic.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depends what you call normal!
In the UK (following the WHO ) levels below 6mmol are considered normal between 6 and 7 are called impaired fasting glucose levels.
However in the US there is a stricter criteria and levels above 100mg/dl (5.66mmol) are classified as abnormal. (7mmol is still the cut off for diabetes)

In a study of non diabetics by all criteria (average Hb A1c 5.34±0.28) their initial average fasting glucose was 84.66±5.49 (4.6mmol).

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've done two fasting tests in the last two weeks and both were 5.8 mmoL. When Jess was first diagnosed four years ago I did a test simply to see if it hurt so I'd understand what it was like for her and I remember that test being 4.something. I've also tested myself once a couple of years ago because we thought there was a problem with her test meter, the reading then too was 4.something. When I did the test again a couple of weeks ago and got a reading of 5.8 I thought that was higher than it should be. I saw the nurse today for a general check up (I have to once a year for my repeat prescription) and my blood pressure has gone higher than it usually is (130/74 from 110/74) so she's sent me off to have some blood tests done. One of the things she's testing for is blood glucose. I didn't say anything to her about having done a couple of tests myself already. I don't think I'm developing diabetes because I don't show any symptoms, perhaps it's a result of lower exercise levels (I used to be very active, now I'm only moderately active) and perhaps stress or lack of sleep. I routinely test Jess at between 1am and 2am 3 to 4 nights a week and sometimes more often if she's running on a low period, this I've been doing for the past 4 years so perhaps it's all catching up with me now. I know stress affects blood glucose and blood pressure, does tiredness to the same?

dragongirl

Sleep deprivation is responsible for an increase in the stress hormone cortisol, and since stress increases blood glucose (as you say), you could be onto something. But obviously I'm only making a comment, I'm not a doctor! I hope you sort something out. I'm glad it's not me having to get up a test a child in the early hours. You've done a good job looking after her!

markd

catherinecherub said:
Hi Sophia,
This will give you the information,

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/diabetes/202210.html

This information is out of date (the answer is dated 2006), as it quotes a fasting level of 7.7 and above as a diagnosis of diabetes. 7.0 is more commonly used.

In another entry on that site, it states:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/diabetes.htm

Fasting glucose test: the glucose level is measured after an overnight fast and on two different days. Above 7.0mmol/l is a diagnosis of diabetes.

Having the same site giving two different figures is confusing, they really ought to update or delete old answers!

Mark

raydavies

Sleep deprivation is responsible for an increase in the stress hormone cortisol, and since stress increases blood glucose (as you say), you could be onto something.

That's interesting. My morning reading has been up a bit recently. Coincidentally, my dogs have had a tummy upset and have had to be let out. One night it was four times. Even if my wife gets up it still disturbs my sleep. I'll try to monitor it and see if there's a pattern.

Ray

dragongirl

Oh god, it was bad enough when I had three under-threes with a tummy upset. But at least they grow up eventually. Good luck!
DG