Noro or Giardia, related to Diabetes?

CarlG

Hi

I'm T2 which have had some recurrent issues with either Norovirus or Giardia (searching the web), the latter being more likely due to lasting so long (2-3 weeks usually, 3-4 days too rarely). These are light (but not the heavy cramps I read about) stomach pains, (fairly extreme) diarrhea, uncontrollable burps (smelling like rotten eggs, almost makes me puke every time), proper vomiting (but only 1-3 times per "incident"), and extremely fatigued. Can't call doctor, because they'd just want me there, but I have to be within 5 seconds away from a toilet at all times. Lost 5kg in 5 hours this time, and anything in is instantly out, but forcing some food in combined with sucking on icecubes for water (tons of soda too when I feel okay for it, but I know it's bad stuff - can't help it :)).

Then I can have a day where most or all symptoms are gone, only to hit twice as hard the next days. It's now the third time in a year, last and current summer vacation completely ruined by a couple of weeks on the can, and a shorter 4-5 day lasting "event" a few months back. Can't really think of a reason why this comes back, or why it tends to strike usually when the weather is hot. My BG levels tend to read somewhat high during the onset, and I can feel only a slight fever which goes away, and then my BG levels drop down to normal again.

But I never had this stuff before, I can't even recall being sick a lot as a kid. It all began a few months prior to diagnosis. I smoke like a chimney, but DB wise I think I manage pretty well (not on any meds yet). So now I'm wondering, is my Diabetes Type 2 in some ways related to this? Are we more easily overwhelmed by this virus/parasite?

I can manage my Diabetes. But this other sheite is beating the **** out of me. Any advice how to live with it or how to get rid of it? I'm sick of this, and really really tired. What should I do?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi CarlG,
I would get to the drs and have some tests done, I have the same problem I call it exploding bum syndrome, I had the tests turns out I have IBS and Diverticular Disease, most of the time treatment for my IBS means my bum works quite normally but if I get a blockage in one of the Diverticuli pockets after a while it festers and chucks a wobbly and then the rotten eggs diarrhoea.
I'm not saying this is what you have just that it can be treated/controlled but without tests you will suffer unnesercerally and I see no point in that.

CarlG

Ok, think I'm past it now, after more than two weeks on and off (mostly on).
I didn't bother calling in, but for the next time, what kind of tests are we talking about here?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had some bloods and then I had the camera up the bum, unpleasant but not painful and it confirmed both IBS and diverticula disease, and since then I have managed to keep both mostly under control with the meds, as I said now and again I do get an explosion but fairly infrequently and not so explosively.

CarlG

Ok, thanks for answer. I'll check with him on my next regular DB appointment. But I really don't want a DSLR up there :)