Not a REAL diabetic............

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi, I'd like to share with you a comment made by one of my co-workers that really hurt.

It was during a lunchtime discussion - all of my co-workers are on one diet or another - and one of them said: 'I don't know what all the fuss is about. After all, you are not a real diabetic.'

That cut so deep I had to go to the changing rooms for a cry.

Is it really the case that others see T2's as food freaks and not as diabetic? After all, I didn't want to be a T2 in the first place, but I buckled down, adapted my diet and took more exercise.

So are all the blood tests, retinal scans, foot examinations, attention to lifestyle and all that a waste of time and money from the NHS? Is that how T2's are regarded - as deluded and faddy? Not, in fact, in any way ill?

Apparently only if you take insulin are you regarded as a 'proper' diabetic.

This has sent me into a total downward spin. I thought that the mood swings, lack of energy, thirst, loss of memory, lack of concentration were down to abberent blood sugar levels because I was an uncontrolled T2. Now I find the folk I work with think I am some sort of hypochondriac and bad at my job.

I thought I was getting it together, losing weight, feeling better and more in control: but I am apparently deluded and my high fasting blood sugar is unimportant, not diagnostic of T2 diabetes at all.

Any of you had similar confrontations? I really can't face up to the woman who said it yet. I even go off site at lunch time to aviod her. And when it is raining, that is a real trial.

ChocFish

Your colleague isnt very educated then huh? I can imagine how hurt you must be, working with such an insensitive lot, did they know that you went outside to cry, surely this wouldnt leave them cold???

Just try and speak up, no matter how hard it is, but hold your head up high and tell them about type 2 diabetes, how hard it is to control, to lose weight and all the adjustments that you have to make to your food intake and lifestyle, etc in order to avoid complications (and the complications are no different to an insulin dependent type 1 diabetic), tell them that you are working hard to avoid having to go on to insulin, if that is possible at all. Explain to these ignorant people what it is all about, or leave literature lying around in the staff room and if you cannot talk write them a letter, anything to enlighten these clowns.

I have been lucky in my work environment, everyone has been supportive and they asked for info if there was something that they didnt understand.
But I go to a self-help group for diabetics and one woman had a similar experience to yours, she was very upet too, but did eventually talk to her supervisor about this issue, this was then put onto the agenda at the next staff meeting and everyone ended up apologising to Elaine and colleagues have been supportive and encouraging since then.

Just dont go suffering in silence, its hard enough being diabetic, and you spend a lot of time at work, I bet you are uncomfortable and self-conscious before you even go inside your workplace, this is increasing stress levels and we know what stress does for us all.

I hope that you can sort this out, the sooner the better, I know it takes courage to speak up, just imagine all the forum members standing right beside you supporting you.

Love from

Karen x

sami

hi dont let that nasty women hurt you like this when did she go to med school she does not no what she is talking about and you should tell her that how would she like to have blood test done all the time and have to think about every thing she eats all the time
you are a proper diabetic and all the fuss is about you keeping healthy dont let anyone tell you diffrently
i had someone last week tell me i was a hypochondriac becouse i have had the diabetes dx a lump that i have had for over 10 years removed and my big toe nails that were ingrown for 16 years removed and then i got an infection in my toes post op all in the last 4 month
i got told your always at the gp's are you a hypochondriac my answer was no thats why i put up with these things for so long :x
so if she says anything like that again ask her what med school she went to and how would she like it if it was her who had diabetes

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I've had that as well,and worse still from another nurse! To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement.There is an old theory that type 2 is 'not as bad' as type one but that is being overtuned as more research is done.We are just as likely to get all the 'bad' stuff if our sugars are not controlled. education of the masses and the medical profession is what is needed.Perhaps you should get your 'friend' to log on here and read some of the stories. :evil:

chocoholic

It is surprising that people can be so stupid and insensitive. My own daughter-in-law turned to me one day and said "You've only got diabetes...it's not as though it's anything serious." :roll:

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How insenstive and stupid to make judgemental comments on something she knew nothing about.
I'm type I since age 8. We went on a school trip to the theatre, so I took my own diet drink for the interval (you could only get them from chemists in those days). Someone asked me why I was taking my own drink. When I explained, she said "Oh haven't you grown out of that yet?!" So I know how these comments hurt.

Unfortunately, media comments about diabetes being caused by obesity and suggestions that diabetes can be "managed by pharmacists" only make things worse.

Sue

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Thank you all, you have given me new strength to carry on.

I have a thought that, since the parent company has taken on a position on the osteoporosis council on the basis that soya products are benficial to this condition, I might suggest that do likewise and support diabetes reseach, since diabetes T2 has been called 'the modern plague'.

Alpro has always been beating the heathy drum, encouraging their employees to eat heathily, take more exercise and partake in sports. Laying the needs to control T2 diabetes in the population might get a positive response, AND get back at the ignorant, since the company will recognize me as the T2 who started it.

Then let 'em try to snipe........

PS... I might work there, but I'd only advise you to start glugging soya milk in you find you like it. I may be 'an ambassador to Alpro' to them, but to me, I'm just.... me.

And watch the label - they use denatured apple juice a a sweetener so they can say on the label 'free from added sugar'.

I will start leaving the 'Are you at risk' pamphlets about in the canteen, and look for surruptitious measurement of waistlines, just so I can snigger. Gotta be better than crying in the Ladies. :twisted:

Thank you again. Down with ignorance. Knowledge is power.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
So if you have say a Melanoma maybe you wouldn't have REAL cancer(and believe me that is real cancer)or a touch of angina isn't real heart disease.These people are so indoctrinated by what they see on TV etc.In the case of my colleague,who comes from a foreign country,maybe they are not so advanced in their thinkings about diabetes,they definitely have funny ideas about antibiotics! :)

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
That's funny, my detractor is originally from South Africa........

Maybe they have other bugbears, like AIDS, that figure more highly.

Hmmmmm.

By the way, if you see any typos in my script, it's because I now have RSI as well and have a temporary splint.

The Gods have it in for me. It is said they test whom they love.

Tough love, eh? :wink:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I'm housework and gardening too! washing machine has broken down...soonest repair date 20th May!Oh joy. Before I was diabetic I did not know that much about it.I have learnt a lot since then.Whether to low carb or not to low carb etc.I know what has been working for me and that is what I pass on with the usual proviso that it may not work for others.I think the majority on the forum do the same.As for confusing newbies...well diabetes is confusing! To the normal lay person who might never have given either diabetes or the contents of their meal much thought it must be a very steep learning curve.

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Oh Sue, my washing machine has died too!
Say it's not a trend - all diabetic washing machines die this week........ :(

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Never mind ,next week it will be all thyroid washing machines! :lol:

Marz Barr

HI Whitemare
please don,t let peoples ignorance upset you all that you can do is educate them you are as much a real diabetic as myself or any one else and no no has the right to judge you
Marz Barr :p

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum,Marz. Hope you get plenty info browsing round the board.

junieliz

Hi whitemare, please don't let the ignorance of others upset you. This person probably has flu when she sneezes from dusting. Type 2 is a very real illness I wonder how this person would cope if they had to take medication before every meal, test regular, I don't think money would be wasted on diaticians, chiropodists, blood tests etc if it was not a real illness, just take no notice of the bullys that is advice we give to our children in the playground this sounds like that level, take care junieliz

Marz Barr

thank you sugerless sue im sure i will me and my huby have been diabetic for 13 years we met about 6 weeks before i was diagnosed and him adout 4 months later (he is such a copy cat)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SilverAndEbony

I was thinking - as well as diabetes I have epilepsy. but my seizures are fully controlled. On the basis of what your workmate said, does that mean I don't really have epilepsy? Yipeee I'm cured!
Wouldn't that be great? Cured in the sense if you stop doing the things that control it you don't have symptoms.

stabatha

hi whitemare, I really can't believe how many ignorant people there are out there, It makes me so angry. Although i'm type 1, and have to inject several times a day, I can honestly say I prefer being this type . At least with type 1 symptoms come on so fast , it is caught early enough before it can do too much damage to your long term health. Many type 2s are not diagnosed before some damage has already been done by which time it is too late to reverse. With good control I have a chance to avoid many of the complications diabetes brings. If I were you and really couldn't confront this person, I would get one of the information books and leave it on their desk with all the horrible things that could happen to us highlighted, and open on those pages. They then might have the decency to actually read through it and understand a little of where your coming from. I can understand why your upset, as I put in a repeat prescription the other day and overheard the woman dispencer say "oh thats another one for Mrs ---------" , meaning me. It made me feel awful , as if I was being a pain for needing so much, but then I thought well she's lucky she's only got to bag it up and not use the contents. Keep your spirits up and don't let them grind you down there's always going to be some idiots that come and go in your life, just try and educate them or ignore them. be :D

steven99

Its about the complications...

As a Type 2 on tablets, with perfect control (which is an immense effort), this thread is an unhappy read.

My understanding is that diabetes mellitus is a progressive and insidious condition.

That it takes 10 years' good control to yield long-term benefits.

Its about the complications... -the origins of the condition cease to have much meaning ultimately.