Not another diagnosis!....

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So back in January (I think), I said hello to you all and explained that both me (T1) and my oldest dog were diabetic. I have been diabetic for over 20 years but her diagnosis was January. Anyway, she has adjusted well and we are so proud of how she has been coping considering we can't explain why we are doing these things to her.
Well, this morning, her younger sister Jess is going to the vet for what we fear is the same diagnosis :( We know that she will not adjust as nearly as well as her sister and it'll increase the monthly bill to over £200 just for their diabetes supplies.
With 3 of us in the household having our own 'diabetes club', you'd think it was contagious! Insulin by the bucket load please!

Kat xx

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Kat, when my dog had diabetes many years ago I used my insulin on him ;) NHS didn't notice any increase in my needs.
Why are you talking £200/month for diabetes supplies? Is your vet a rip of merchant?

Reactions: 2 people

Yerusha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you determine if dog has diabetes.. never heard of this before do they have the same symptoms as humans?

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How unlucky is that...I guess at least you know what you're doing...must be tough though. I'm curious though as this isn't something I've ever had to deal with...how do you treat a doggie hypo? Can't imagine my dog would be overly pleased if I fed him jelly babies

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The insulin in around £35 per bottle and the syringes are around £10 for 30. My dogs are quite large so they use the insulin pretty quick. Unfortunately I'm on an insulin system that is different from theirs and I wouldn't be able to treat it using my own. I wish I could!! And my vets is one of the cheaper ones in the area - honestly I don't think I'd switch even if they weren't as they are fab.

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes symptoms and treatment is very similar to humans. The only difference is that they can't tell you how they are feeling so you have to watch them very carefully. Interestingly, the pet foods aimed at diabetic pets are really high in carb so we have tailored our own pet diets which seem to suit them. Even the vet has asked for a few tips!
To treat the hypo, we usually carry a tube of liquid glucose from the bakery section at the supermarket. When a hypo occurs, we rub it onto the gums and it works really quickly and really well....though if you offered mine some jelly beans, she wouldn't say no! lol.
Just had confirmation of Jess - she has become one of us. Poor girl hates injections so this is going to be a rough ride. Her sister has taken it really well and hopefully, Jess will adjust quickly.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know if it can help with what you need .. But have you looked here for supplies .. If there is anything you could reduce costs by purching via them will be good. I can recommend this company as I have ordered from them in the past

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't know if it can help with what you need .. But have you looked here for supplies .. If there is anything you could reduce costs by punching via them will be good. I can recommend this company as I have ordered from them in the past
Thanks - but they do not do the supplies I use. Is your pet a diabetic too then?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks - but they do not do the supplies I use. Is your pet a diabetic too then?
No .. Not diabetic.. But is an over sensitive saluki and needs a little relaxing spray now and again

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No .. Not diabetic.. But is an over sensitive saluki and needs a little relaxing spray now and again

I have a lurcher who suffers from separation anxiety wonder if relaxing spray might work on him

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi there, my previous cat was diabetic, she was an older girl and I injected her with Lantus twice daily for 2 years before she passed away. It was expensive, but I had the funds at the time and it was great to spend that extra 2 years with her. Ironically I was diagnosed with T2 the year after she went.

Our furbabies are our children (especially for those of us without human children, lol). Your dogs sound adorable. :)