not bad for a 10 year old!!!

jonesy

my 10 year old son was diagnosed type 1 in aug 09 and went on a pump in sep 10.

last week his football team were due to go on a week's tour in jersey. we didn't want him to miss it, but we were too scared to let him go alone at this age and early stage of diabetes and pumping.

our way round this was for me to go along to jersey for the week, but stay in a seperate hotel nearby. we equipped him with all his equipment, insulin, infusion sets, glucose etc....

we also equipped him with a mobile phone, and the plan was for him to ring me every meal to so that we could discuss what the meal consisted of and come up with a rough estimate for carb content.

well this all went smoothly till day 3, then he just stopped ringing me. said he was fine and could do it himself. i was seeing him each morning at football, so thought i'd let him have a go.......

coped on his own for the rest of the week!! BG between 5 and 10 all week, with one high of 13 and just 2 hypos. considering there was football every morning and group activities every afternoon, i was very impressed!!

had 1 oclussion, which he sorted. changed his canulla on time (every 2 days) and filled his insulin cartridge.

we are very very impressed and proud!!

so much so, that he has earned the right to go on his school trip in the summer, which is 5 nights away.

never underestimate children!!!

jonesy

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Great to hear your Son did so well on his own.......kids always are more adept at things than we give them credit for.......never too young to take control either.

Well done to him......and you for getting him to this stage....... :D

annettekp

That's great to hear!

You've obviously done a brilliant job getting yourself and your son up to speed with pumping and carb counting!

leggott

You must be so proud!

As parents of children with type 1 our long term goal apart from keeping them healthy is to give them the knowledge and desire to take control of their condition, so when they are able to they can carry on where we stop. You obviously have been doing an excellent job in giving your son the confidence and ability to take on the management of his condition.

Well done to both of you!

leggott

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is a fantastic achievement in independence, well done!! :D