Not Coping

Mimi

Dear All

I have been 'off the wagon' for a year and feel terrible. I couldn't keep up the low/moderate carb diet and have stopped exercising and feel incredibly low. I was doing so well but just lost momentum and am in a worse place than when I started to make improvements. I don't know how to get back to it, or find the enthusiasm that helped me get to where I was a year ago, which was in the 5s for HbA1c.

any advice or encouragement would be appreciated. I'm currently avoiding my diabetic appointments, as I can't take whatever my DN wants to dump on me (not a good relationship).
Mimi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it your poor relationship with your nurse that is causing you to feel that want to throw it all in? If it's as bad as all that you could manage without her. I know this isn't ideal but if you are not coping with her then it is a solution.

What about a note to your GP asking to see a shrink. It doesn't mean you are ill and it will be someone to explain things to. My nurse says they are available to diabetics and always asks me if I want to go and see one. I never take up the offer since I don't want to upset him.

The obvious advice is it would be better to find someone to tell about your feelings but you can do the diet etc. without them for now.

Dark Horse

Start by getting back into exercising. Lack of exercise may be contributing towards your low mood and when you're feeling low, you can't see problems clearly. After you've picked yourself up and got back into the exercise "groove", then you can do your own diabetic "review" and decide what you want to do. Maybe your low carbohydrate was a bit too low to be sustainable. Focus on exercise to improve your mood and insulin sensitivity, then consider focusing on low GI to avoid glucose spikes and see how you go.

Try not to leave it too long before you go back to your diabetic nurse - find out if it's possible to see someone else if you find the relationship difficult. Good luck!

Mimi

Thank you for your replies.
I can see that exercise would be a start on improving things but where I was a while ago was so goodI feel like I'll never get back to that. Accepting that I'm going to have to start from scratch is difficult. The counselling thing might be a way of helping with that.

Low GI - also a good idea! I've been thinking that I have to do the really low carb thing to get back to where I was. I'm a bit 'all or nothing', Mmaybe I should start looking for some middle ground.
Thank you
Mimi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be a bit easier on yourself. If the cure makes you feel worse than the disease then maybe it's time to think it out again.

Start with things you find easy to do. A short walk and slightly lower carbs in a meal that you enjoy etc.

Dark Horse

It's a sad fact that long-term none of us will be as fit as we used to be (ageing!). Don't use that as an excuse not to exercise. Use time-oriented goals e.g. 30 minutes of walking rather than performance-oriented e.g. walking 2 miles at 4 miles per hour.

Remember, "Perfection is the enemy of good enough." ;-)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please have your Vitamin D levels tested - having a deficiency can make just about everything in life feel like climbing a mountain. It's a fair bet that just about everyone living in the UK is deficient and getting it right makes the world of difference to your mood and energy levels.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Can gp surgeries organise Vit D checks? Mine said it wasnt on their system so they couldnt do it, and I would have to ask hospital?