1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Not diabetic anymore??? Confused as heck :(

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Gezzabelle, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Osidge

Osidge Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hi Gezzabelle

You might want to get your GP to refer you to a haematologist. Raised iron and red blood cell count could be an indication of the Myeloproliferative Neoplasm called polycythaemia vera. If you are in or near London, the unit at Guy's Hospital headed by Prof Claire Harrison is a centre of excellence.

Keep well

Doug

• Like Like x 6
  2. Susikav

Susikav Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You have done amazingly well.... It leaves me speechless that you should have been treated so and you are very sensible to ignore their 'advice'.... I achieved much the same as you, with, as you, all the support and information from the wonderful people on this forum... I still tend to go up and down a bit, especially fasting numbers, but I definitely control my diabetes - it doesn't control me... Well done... and giving up smoking is another huge achievement.... Gold stars for you... :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. munday1932

munday1932 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have also been told I have reversed my diabetes but my doctor said we both know you are a diabetic and continue to carry on the routine you follow.

• Like Like x 3
  4. maisyme

maisyme · Member

that's brilliant...you should be so proud of yourself...what you're doing is obviously working...so I'd keep on doing it
    by the way did you ever take statins....

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gezzabelle

Gezzabelle Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Never been offered statins despite higher than they want cholesterol....wouldn't take them anyway ;)

6. Gezzabelle

It would be good to even get an appointment for the scan.....STILL waiting !!!

7. Gezzabelle

I have found recently that if I eat a slice of toast with butter my bg goes up higher than if I eat a slice of toast and butter with eggs so the protein must offset the carbs? 1 slice of toast buttered @2 hours = 7.5 1 slice of toast with a 2 egg omelette, cheese and mushrooms in single cream only 7.7 @ 2 hours.....1 slice of toast with 1 poached egg @ 2 hours = 6.3....weird results for so much more food than the one piece of toast

• Like Like x 2
  8. maisyme

maisyme · Member

9. maisyme

maisyme · Member

you've done brilliantly.....you should be so proud of yourself....you must be doing something right ..so keep doing it....
    by the way did you ever take statins.....

• Like Like x 2
  10. maisyme

maisyme · Member

the reason I asked about the statin was ...I was taking them for years and then was diagnosed type 2....not on meds...just like you diet and exercise ..but I stopped the statins 3 or 4 years ago..and wouldn't take any more....now it's well known that they can cause a rise in blood sugar...my last hb a1c was 5.5.....

11. Gezzabelle

My cholesterol is normal they said but say it's too high at 5.8?....they haven't asked me to take statins and I wouldn't any way. They keep lowering the acceptable levels and want it down to 3.0 now ....impossible and not natural to be that low. I am told it's ''normal'' then to get it down lower. They can go whistle Dixie if they think I am changing anything else in my life ....eating low carb cos hard enough without anymore being asked. For a practice that told me to go back to eating junk again cos I got my HbA1c down to non diabetic I don't think their advice is really of any worth. I will go on as I am and if that isn't good enough tough titty...cos I don't care anymore lol

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bigbloke48

Bigbloke48 Type 2 · Active Member

Good on you for taking control. They need to get retrained and keep up to date with current research.

Always wonder why the NHS are so behind.

• Like Like x 4
  13. ButtterflyLady

ButtterflyLady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Maybe you could give them a call to chase it up? I agree with the idea of seeing a haematologist.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Gezzabelle

Kind of scares me to find out whats wrong....figure maybe ignorance is bliss? :(

15. ButtterflyLady

ButtterflyLady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Aw, come now... isn't it better to know what you are dealing with? If my memory is correct, you didn't have any other signs or symptoms suggesting it could be serious? Hugs.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

You could be worrying about nothing!

• Like Like x 3
  17. maisyme

maisyme · Member

HEY YOU'VE DONE WELL SO FAR.....YOU'VE GOT THE FIGHTING SPIRIT...

• Like Like x 2
  18. CollieBoy

CollieBoy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

With diabetics, ignorance is bliss, but only for the HCPs:woot:

• Like Like x 2
  19. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Some HCP'S are very helpful and not all HCP's ignore us diabetics .

20. Gezzabelle

Finally got an appointment for an abdominal/liver scan....September 21st 12.15pm so not much longer to wait...be good to get some answers and hopefully put my mind at ease

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook