Not eating enough calories?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I started low carbing 2 years ago, in 5 months I lost over 2 stone. Since then ive struggled to lose anymore. I've been good and I've been bad, but I couldn't figure out why I've stopped losing.

Today I input all my food on myfatsecret.com and yes I'm under 30g of carbs but only 1300 calories. It tells me I should be eating 2100 calories.

So more cheese and cream I think, I've just made some fat bombs too. Hopefully if I increase my calories I'll lose more weight, seems wrong to me......eat more to lose weight :confused:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started low carbing 2 years ago, in 5 months I lost over 2 stone. Since then ive struggled to lose anymore. I've been good and I've been bad, but I couldn't figure out why I've stopped losing.

Today I input all my food on myfatsecret.com and yes I'm under 30g of carbs but only 1300 calories. It tells me I should be eating 2100 calories.

So more cheese and cream I think, I've just made some fat bombs too. Hopefully if I increase my calories I'll lose more weight, seems wrong to me......eat more to lose weight :confused:

How much do you have to lose in total? We all have a set weight I think that our body likes to sit at and maybe you are at yours.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
How much do you have to lose in total? We all have a set weight I think that our body likes to sit at and maybe you are at yours.

No still got about 10 stone to lose.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had your thyroid checked? I'd have thought that you would be losing weight on 1200 calories with that much to lose, though it remember my Mum starting off at about 1500 calls a day when she had 6st to shift then coming down as she got nearer target. It's finding the balance between eating enough to stop body going into starvation mode and too much to lose weight. Good luck with it.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you body can be very efficient, it shuts down when it thinks there is no food around. eat more, tell it the famine is over.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I feel naughty eating more. Feel like ive been eating plenty. guess I need more fat to increase the calories.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
don't eat carbs other than leafy veg and only normal protein and top up with fat, run on a ketogenic diet for a while

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Definitely you need the extra calories in the fat to lose weight...
I use my fitnesspal and also like you add in my days exercise etc.. I'm fine for calories, but as soon as I put in my dog walking and job as a gardener than I can be up to 1895 calories short and in starvation mode according to the app. It's true, I don't need to lose weight, but it is so frustrating having to eat more when it so goes against the grain of my life. I just do not want to eat more...

I can definitely say that this worked for me practically all my life.... My weight doesn't change...within a lb or 2 ever. When it loses weight I have actually forced myself to eat more just to see if I can get out of starvation mode...and then I end up losing weight, which I definitely don't need to do....

Sympathies trying to get the extra food to boost your calories, but cheese is a good source. My favourite when tring to add more is a large pointed pepper, sliced in half, filled with philly cheese... Even better if grilled with cooked bacon added to the top!!!! Cold is nice to go out for a picnic and hot is lovely for a lunch..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@donnellysdogs
play with your protein levels if you want to put on weight. try 1.25g per body kilo weight per day, I read that fat won't do it and carbs are out. it brings you up to what your body wants

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I don't want to put on weight either!!
I am far happier now having the extra fat n protein as it has helped my bowel and leg pains so much.

I want to maintain my weight but get alarmed when myfitnesspal tells me I am 1895 calories short due to my dog walking and gardening.. I think the lack of cals is just keeping me so muscly. I had another gp compliment me tonight with my physique n suntan!!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I must be doing something right my ketostick went red! Finally. Lets hope sat morning weigh in shows results too.........

:nailbiting:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally believe that our bodies have a set point weight they defend and most of the obesity science seems to prove it. No matter what I do - eat less, eat more - my body likes where it is now and just goes up or down by a kg or so. Though I'd like to lose about 4 kg more, I'm pretty sure it's not gonna happen, so am trying to work up the courage to stop weighing myself, stop keeping food diaries and just eat to my appetite - but the routine has become such a part of my life, the prospect of just trusting my body to do its thing is really scary. Stupid really - nobody ever heard of counting calories before the second half of the 20th century :mad:

Reactions: 7 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I personally believe that our bodies have a set point weight they defend and most of the obesity science seems to prove it. No matter what I do - eat less, eat more - my body likes where it is now and just goes up or down by a kg or so. Though I'd like to lose about 4 kg more, I'm pretty sure it's not gonna happen, so am trying to work up the courage to stop weighing myself, stop keeping food diaries and just eat to my appetite - but the routine has become such a part of my life, the prospect of just trusting my body to do its thing is really scary. Stupid really - nobody ever heard of counting calories before the second half of the 20th century :mad:
Well if I didn't have much weight to lose I'd agree but still 60 odd kilos to go!