not happy at all!

Mini-Mimi

after our diabetes nurse went into school, informed my daughters teachers all about the condition, what to do, when to do it, how to check BSL's everything was going fine, Mia's teacher was doing her BSL's without any problem, i have now been told this morning it has to stop as theres too much paperwork to fill in, and the school arent legally obliged to test Mia's BSL's!
all about heath and bl**dy safety!
i could go into school each time and do the test myself but it was pointed out to me this would make Mia "different" to all the other kids if i was turning up, taking her out of class, it'd be disruptive to her, whereas a teacher could take her to one side, wash their hands, bish bash bosh, the other kids wouldnt notice of think any thing of that.
any ideas?

jacquiel

Maybe the teacher would be happy to check her just twice a week (assuming is before lunch?) and then you would get a picture of some pre lunch sugar levels, or maybe before pe if that is more appropriate?
A compromise at least!

Dollyrocker

How old is Mia?

Could she manage to do it herself if someone was overseeing it (rather than actually getting involved?)

Mini-Mimi

mia is only 3 (4 in January) so isnt able to do it herself.
her teacher was more than willing to do it, and has been doing it since thursday, it's the headmaster who put a stop to it, quoting health and safety!

Dollyrocker

Ah, yes, that is a little too young!

Sounds like health and safety gone mad to me, I'm assuming it's only nursery school at the moment and children don't really notice who is 'different' at that young age do they? If anything they're more likely to be accepting of it I would have thought

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't let them get away with that cop out! The school has a duty of care for your child whilst she is there during the day. You have provided the staff with professional training by your DSN. Testing your daughter is necessary to avoid and detect hypos which if left can become very serious and put her health at great risk. Your daughter's diabetes is recognised as a disability and protected under the Disability Discrimination Act. The finger prick test is a quick and simple task to perform, it takes less than 5 minutes. It makes me so angry when I read things like this. Parents have enough stress in the early days following diagnosis, the last thing they need is that stress compounded by unco-operative schools. You can either fight their decision or choose another nursery who can offer a more caring environment for your daughter. But whatever you do, don't allow them to not perform the glucose tests if they are necessary, don't put your daughter's health at risk to make their job easier, your daughter comes first. Good luck, I'm sorry you're having to go through this, it's very unfair.

If anyone is interested in taking part in this campaign with JDRF please follow the link: http://www.jdrf.org.uk/page.asp?section ... s+campaign

or if my link is deleted (not sure it we're allowed to post a link) then go to the UK JDRF website, select the Media Centre link under the News tab and then select the "Children in Schools Campaign" link from the left hand side menu.