Not losing anything at all ?

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been eating very low carbs to bring down my BG for almost the last 3 weeks and have not lost anything at all. I am actually doing it mainly to lower the BG but I keep reading about the terrific weight loss as well and wondered what I am doing wrong?

I am eating low/no carbs and using cream, butter and oil for cooking and I eat a good portion of low carb veg with each meal? Any ideas?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Looking at some of the foods you eat I can see why, cream and butter are both high-fat and if I were to eat these regular I would certainly be putting weight on, and the damage it would do to my arteries isn't worth thinking about! :(

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nigel is right - I restrict my carbs to 100 - 120g a day and lost 7 stone - but you have to watch the portion control too if you are wanting to lose weight as well as control BS- by all means have the cream, butter and oils but as treats not as regular stuff if you are wanting to achieve weight loss - even the "good" oils such as extra virgin olive oil that has health benefits is still 100 calories a teaspoon! - I use half fat creme fresh for cooking and on my berries etc- I dry fry or spray oil if I am frying - keeping the indulgence of olive oil for my salads.

I know from experience as in the last couple of months I have had about 5lb weight gain - I see my DSN next month and I am going to ask for a reduction in my glic meds as I am going hypo in the afternoons and early evening and having to snack - something I cut out completely - even this little bit of extra food on a regular basis is giving me weight gain.

Try reducing your fat intake by half and see if that helps

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just upped my fat intake as I read a post on here where someone gave an example daily menu and I wasn't eating nearly enough fat. I thought that if you ate low carb you had to up your fats.

OK back to the drawing board. Thanks for the advice.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
When deciding on what fats to include and how much, you must take into account the calorific value or you will gain weight or not loose any. You also have to consider hidden fat as even the leanest of red meat contains a proportion fat even if you cannot see it.

anniep

I think you are finding out that we are all different, and that you need to work out what suits you. Some people seem to find that they do loose weight with the high fat diet, against conventional wisdom. It is also possible that weight can 'plateau' and sometimes it can take a while to kickstart things.

I have no idea whether I am high or low fat as I don't count it, I just use what I want. I fry everything in olive oil daily and don't stint on it. I am a vegetarian so the fat in meat is not an issue but I do eat lots of cheese and when hungry snack on nuts, all high calorie stuff, but again I don't calorie count so can't say how many I do or don't eat. I cut out all starchy carbs but don't count the carbs in vegetables, so can't say wether I am low or just reduced carbing.

All very vague I am afraid but something is working, as I have lost several stone in weight and several dress sizes.

Do you want/need to loose weight or are you happy to get to grips with the BG levels first? if so don't worry, sort one thing at a time out. Metformin is suppose dot help with weight loss.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Annie

Yes I defo need to lose weight but I am the type of person it drops off when I put my mind to it but goes back on at the same speed unfortunately. I'll keep plodding away and hopefully it will kick start as you say.

anniep

I have Yo Yo dieted all my life, which is actully very bad for you. And then if it goes back on just as quickly then it is probably a sign that it wasn't lost in a sustainable way.

I am hoping that this time will be different as I am not trying to loose wieght but trying to control my bg levels. I am eating waht I want wne i want, it just not starchy carbs.

sugar2

Hi Lemonie,

Its says in your "signature" taht you have lost 7 lb...is that in 3 weeks? That is pretty good going I would have thought? Well, I am jealous anyway! :D

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Lemonie,

You have done great with 7 pounds in such a short time.

I have lost about 5 stone now in 9 months with controlling my carbs. I started with setting myself a target of 1pound per week which has proved to be acheivable most weeks - some weeks more.

You could do with getting the collins gem book of carbohydrates. It tells you in there how it works and gives you the values in calories and g carbs for everything. I write down everyhting I eat during the day and aim for 2000 Calories and 70g Carbs which has worked a treat for me. I eat lots of small meals (every 2 hours through the day) and rarely feel hungry - if I do, I know its not long before my next meal.

My wife has been following my diet for 2 months and lost 1 1/2 stone and she wasn't that much overweight. She's now gone from a 14's to a 10's so she's over the moon. We both feel better for it too.

We don't eat any Butter or Margarine and mostly eat chicken and fish. Eggs are great too and a Moyonaise is ok if you look at the what you're buying. The low fat stuff is more often than not higher in carbs.

Good luck

Carl

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Carl,
That's a fantastic weight loss and in such a short time too. I was also very interested to know the total carbs you are eating. I am cutting mine but perhaps will try going down to 70g too. I also watch the calories but haven't been counting them. I'm careful with fat too. I tried low carb high fat but it didn't work for me - I just put on weight. I'm sure you saw a significant improvement in your BGs too. :)

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought it was too good to be true that I could have all the lovely creamy sauces on my chicken :( so I guess that means I'm one of the ones who is going to have to count calories as well. I'm turning into a human calculator as it is :p

The 7lbs I lost in the first 3 days and thought woohoo! but I've lost nothing since, just keep losing a pound and then putting it back on again. Never mind .. plan B it is and well done Carl on your weight loss!!

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Being overweight and with a Hb1Ac over 11% have you thought about asking to be put on to Victoza, as for some that also helps with weight loss.

Buck

if you want to lose then first balance your diet not eat much and do exercise harder then you lose weight fast if you eat much then exercise no effect.

Elvis

I think their is something wrong with your diet, which is not working for the weight loss.
Try to bring some variation in your diet plan, and have some workout.

Bernardd

Hi...
Don't worry.. Dieting is a primary solution to lose weight if problem not resolve with the dieting then should start exercise and should join gym...
just follow it you will get good results..