Not recognising hypos!

chocoholic

I am a little concerned that I'm not recognising the signs of a hypo like I used to. My pre-breakfast reading today for instance was 5.9. That was at 8.00. My insulin was half a unit over what should have matched carbs.(the current pens I have don't measure in half units...something I shall ask for when I need replacements). I have had a succession of phone calls and although I felt really hungry when I finally tested, I had no other symptoms. My reading had shot up to 12.2.so I can only assume that I went low and then my liver dumped glucose instead. Is that correct? At what point does the liver do that or is that just something that can happen at night? I thought I'd keel over if reading went too low or does the liver always help out?
Besides worrying about not recognising hypo coming on, I'd like to know, does it harm the body if you get into a pattern of the liver dumping glucose without you realising? sorry to ask so many questions. I just know I'll get a clear, informed answer on here.Thanks in advance for any advice.

iHs

Hi

I dont think that you have gone hypo. What is probably going on is that Novorapid is slow in its action so that is why your bg has gone up before dropping back. Novorapid is well known for this.

What you may be able to do is get a 1/2 unit Junior pen from Novo and try that or bolus 1/2 hr earlier to allow for the Novo to get going. This is a dam nuisance though as youve got to make sure that you eat what you have bolused for.

I bang on about Apidra but its very good both in preventing high bg and also its better hypo wise too. When you see Dr B again ask to switch to it. Because it is very fast you wont to need to use so much of it. Lilly by the way do a Luxura HD 1/2 unit pen but the info from Dr B is that you can put Lilly cartridges in it and Aventis too :)

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I don't know if it actually harms the liver to keep on dumping glucose, but I wouldn't rely on it any more than you have to. Firstly if you routinely don't react to (treat) the early warning signs of a hypo, you'll stop getting the early signs (ie unaware of hypo until really low). You should not drive while you have hypo unawareness. Secondly, if you've had alcohol your liver will prioritise dealing with the alcohol before dumping the glucose, a dangerous combination. As I understand it, your liver needs to refuel by taking glucose from your bloodstream before it can do another dump, therefore your bs is likely to dip again as it refuels itself. In any case if your bs swinging a lot you could end up having another hypo before your liver is able to dump again.

Sue

chocoholic

Thanks for the replies. I did not explain that I didn't get the really high reading until 3 and a half hours after eating, so would have thought Novorapid would have worked long before then. I know before I split the Lantus I was being woken up bathed in sweat and reading had gone high, which is why I queried if this can happen in daytime too.I don't drink alchohol at all, so thankfully, that does not come into the equation and I'm only on very small amounts of insulin, which is why I think the junior pen may suit me, when I can get some.
I just wondered why I had a high so late in the morning, when the amount of insulin was over what I needed.(All be it by a small amount.)

iHs

You probably need to increase the amount of morning Lantus that you use. Its all a bit of a juggling act between getting the right balance between the basal and the bolus. Also, these insulin to carb ratios are not always spot on correct so you just have to use trial and error a bit more and learn as you go along :wink:

chocoholic

Thanks for the advice, Sally. Normally my readings for that time of day are in the "normal" range, so perhaps it was just a blip. If it happens again, I will definitey try adjusting the Lantus as you suggest. Thanks again.