Not sure how i feel

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bit of background, i have 3 little ones under 4, i was diagnosed with GD in 2010 my first pregnancy, in my second pregnancy i was diagnosed with type 1 at 16 weeks (they suspected slow onset type 1 due to my BMI/no family history etc and the antibody tests came back positive. Aside from the pregnancies i managed to control it by diet alone and my readings were always good with a hba1c in the 5's.
I've just given birth 2 weeks ago and after the first couple of hours my readings settled down and once again i was controlling by diet but my fasting readings had gone up to 7's and 8's as opposed to pre pregnancy 5's.

The last few days my post meals have been in the 11's despite being low carb and doing alot of walking about, my fastings have been in the 9's, so after a cruddy day feeling sorry for myself i've took the leap and corrected a 13mmol, hoping it will come down in the next hour or so.

Just feels strange, i was hoping i would last abit longer without needing to inject, but i think the 3 pregnancies accelerated it and it was only a matter of time. I feel as if i've just been diagnosed again, but i know i can't keep having high readings and insulin is inevitable and maybe sooner than later is best.

Sorry a random post, i'm just worried i will struggle hypo wise with 3 little ones, i feel like i've lost my freedom in a way, did anyone else feel like this when they had to go onto insulin (if you had a break from initial diagnosis)?

Thanks in advance x

elaine77

Hi hell bunny I'm similar to you with regard to everything apart from that I don't need to inject yet.

Sometimes I feel like that's worse because I know it's inevitable so I feel like everyday I'm waiting for a bomb to drop and everyday it doesn't come I worry it will be the next day.... I switch from not ever ever wanting to have to inject to wishing that I didn't have to keep waiting for it to come to wishing that I was type 2 so that i could stick to my little Low GI diet forever and never have to worry about insulin...

Then there's the fact that I have 2 children and my husbands now getting into talks about having another and were at loggerheads because I know it will mean insulin if I get pregnant again and then the whole cycle mentioned above starts all over again...he thinks I should just get it over with and end up on insulin whereas I'm constantly trying to avoid it and praying for a miracle cure that's totally not going to come anytime soon.. :-( and so the cycle continues...

Sometimes I feel LADA is the worst type of diabetes because of this and because even the doctors don't seem to understand or know anything about it so u feel like ur wondering round in the dark not knowing what's coming round the corner though I'm sure people will disagree and say how every type of diabetes is just as bad as the others but different strokes for different folks and all that...

My morning fasting levels are always between 7mmol and 8mmol and my consultant says that's absolutely fine and exactly what he would expect for a diabetic to be in the morning so that's not too bad even though its not 'normal' but then again we are diabetic not normal anyway lol

Sorry that this post is no more optimistic than urs but I just wanted to let u know ur not alone with it all :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

academicdiabetic

Hi Hellbunny (great name by the way),

I wasn't sure from your post what your BG readings are generally, but they didn't sound too bad? I also have no idea what your age is. As a bit of potential 'comfort', although we are all told to maintain very low BG levels, the very small number of studies (1, with 2 suppplementals..) the NHS goes by to 'set' the levels we 'should' reach, actually suggest rather more leaway than the NHS assumes is correct. 'Normal' resting BG levels tend to rise both with age and with number of babies. So, by age 50 (I realise you will be much younger than that...) with no babies, the fasting BG values for the 'normal' female, suggested by the studies, would actually be 14.7 mmol.

Above is pretty significant food for thought for all of us, so if anyone has seen any research additional to the above which suggests what 'normal' should be, I, for one, would be quite excited to see the citations...

:wink:

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the replies! One week in and i actually feel ok now, i think it was worse before because i knew it was coming if that makes sense? Elaine was you on insulin in pregnancy? I really was hoping for a longer spell but i think after 3 kids and 3 years since diabetes diagnosis its a good run considering standard type 1's go straight to insulin and thats it. My fastings post birth were around 7-8, but the week leading up to when i went on insulin they were around 12, and i was feeling so rubbish but now i've gotten them down to 7ish again and i feel alot better in myself, still tired though with a newborn thats to be expected i think. I'm just abit worried about hypos when out and about with my little ones, thats the main reason i wanted to stay off insulin for as long as possible!
AcademicDiabetic 14mmol thats high! I always thought non diabetes would always be consistant around 4-7mmol no matter what the age?

elaine77

No I was only on Metformin in pregnancy and rarely went above 8.5mmol no matter what i ate... It went away completely after I had my son too so I'm guessing it was the trigger during pregnancy but that it's just progressing very slowly..... Not so much anymore though, levels have been all over the place recently :-(

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.