Not sure i'm being given the right advice

chazelder

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes since 2009, and have been on insulin since 2012. In January I weighed 30st and was on 100 units of Humalin M3 morning and night. By may I had lost 3 stones, and on an appointment with my Diabetes Consultant he advised me to drop my insulin to 90 units morning and night. Since then i have been having up to 6 hypos a week, late evening or very early morning around 3am. I have been in constant touch with my diabetes nurse, and she just keeps on telling me to reduce my nightime dose by 5, i'm now on 90 in the morning and 55 at night. The problem is my BG levels i take 2 hours after eating are getting higher, they are around 11.3,
I usually eat dinner around 6pm then i don't eat again until next morning. i suggested adding in supper before bed but she keeps saying no just reduce by 5 unit.

Any advice

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry, I can't contribute on insulin, but I just had to say fab cat pic. Fantastic!!!

Hopefully someone will be along to answer your question in a minute...

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
What is your diet - typical day? To minimise hypos, you may find sustaining foods with proteins & fats keep you BGs steady. Obviously you need to halve your weight, so there's no quick solution.

I agree supper could be helpful - a low carb snack such as cheese (without crackers) or a ground almond "porridge" may help.

I'm not on insulin, so my advice is not from experience.