Novomix 30

pebbles22

My six year old has just started on Novomix 30 I thought this would improve his high morning readings after breakfast, but if anything they are worse. He had his jab at 7.00 this morning had breakfast and at 9.30 they were still 22.6 an hour later the reading is 6.7 he has a snack then 45 mins later its 3.6.

It seems like a rollercoaster I thought Novomix 30 would bring BS down quicker and stabilise for the rest of the day.

Anyone got any ideas

thanks

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
What were you using before? It looks like you could give the injection a bit earlier to time the peak in blood sugar with the peak in insulin. That might be hard to do with a 6 year old. My 5 year old gets his insulin about half an hour before brekky and he doesn't get much of a peak but he is on Levemir and Novorapid. I quite often give his insulin at meal times or after for lunch and dinner without peaks but not so much at breakfast.

I would have thought the mixed insulins would be difficult unless you had a fairly rigid diet as any time you increase the dose you increase the basal also, leaving hypos a possibility later in the day. Do you normally give a morning tea? That would avoid the 10.30am hypo but fixing the peak is harder. Some breakfasts are better than others if they are low GI or high GI. I find weetbix causes big spikes but whole rolled oats don't. I'll still give my son weetbix but I just give the insulin a bit of a head start before he eats them.

StephAjcm

My 6yr old is on Novomix and has been since diagnosis. He has 2 injections a day - one with breakfast and one with dinner. He often has high readings pre-breakfast and first injection and has been 'diagnosed' with dawn syndrome (I think that is what it is called). His consultant has said that whilst he is on this type of insulin he will continue to be regularly high in the mornings as the evening injection has 'run-out'. By mid-morning he is generally fine (although this freezing cold weather has thrown us). His consultant is happy for him to stay on 2 injections for the time being but has said that switching to seperate fast acting and slow release insulin would get rid of this and be easier to regulate his levels.

On a weekend his morning levels seem to be higher as we tend to eat breakfast later but he still would have had his night time insulin the same time as normal.