1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Novorapid and Lantus - Perfect morning sugar level rising

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Wizadora87, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Jayno

Jayno · Member

Re: Novorapid and Lantus - Perfect morning sugar level risin

You could have something called dawn phenomenon where you blood glucose rises in the morning for no reason. A correction dose is all you can do if you suffer from this.

2. Wizadora87

Wizadora87 · Active Member

Hi Sooty26 and thanks for your post. Sorry to hear of your problems too. They seem similar to how mine started. I was going hypo almost every night and being unconscious every morning and having ambulances out multiple times. They kept telling me they didn't know what was wrong etc. However my periods were irregular (I went about 5 months without one which triggered going to my GP). They did loads of blood tests before diagnosing me with Ovarian Failure.

My Endocrinology consultant said it's likely my hypos were caused by the Ovarian Failure due to me not producing any Estrogen for up to or more than 1 year. I'm now on Birth Control pills for Estrogen, (and to prevent any chance pregnancy whilst my diabetes is unstable). But since this diagnosis, my diabetes has gone totally downhill...

I spoke to my consultant about Levemir, but they didn't really say whether it's any different, just that they have less experience with it during pregnancy (I'm seeing diab/maternity department). I woke up low this morning (3.2) but managed to eat breakfast at around 10am, whoopee! However, just did a test and I'm 20.1 - Argh!

I think I'll play with my bolus at breakfast/lunch and increase my Lantus for now if I get bored because right now, I'm not perfect. I'm either low or high, which is exactly how I was before we started playing with my doses.

I'm sure I do suffer the dawn phenomenon, hopefully I can control it better once I have sorted my insulin doses. I rather skip a pump if I can, but totally open to consideration if I can't get this fixed myself. :)

3. ellybee

ellybee · Member

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I aslo had high BS levels first thing in the morning, (even before breakfast) well into double figures (I'm type 2 on insulin).The DN put up the Lantus gradually from 16 to 22 units until my early morning readings matched my bedtime readings.
    I take Novarapid on a ratio of 2 units to 1 CP. I now need less Novarapid and my morning readings are close to the normal
    range. Hope this helps.

4. Wizadora87

Thanks for your input Ellybee :)

My trouble is I go to bed and wake up perfect, then rise into double figures within 2 hours of waking up usually! I'm testing at the moment with increasing my Lantus and decreasing my Novorapid with meals as I think I've been taking too much Novo with lunch causing the pre-dinner hypos. Going to up my Lantus back to 14 as it was originally and keep the Novorapid reduced at a ratio of 1:2 and see what happens over the next few days, if I am still running high with no hypos, I'll play some more with it! Trial and error for each and all of us I guess :)

Didn't take the morning Lantus today so I can increase tonight without hypo during night, but still went low with a ratio of 1:2 with my lunch though, which was a bit weird since I'm taking less insulin than I was the past few days overall, and I didn't hypo those days!!!! Nothing changed :yawn:

5. etmsreec

etmsreec Type 1 · Well-Known Member

when you said you'd had breakfast at 10am, was this later into the 2 hours after waking?

6. ellybee

ellybee · Member

I also had reasonable early morning results, it was the first cup of coffee 7am that did it :shock: up by 3 points by 9am when I have breakfast. (Coffee with skimmed milk and no sugar!) I too have had some low (below 4) BS readings, 1 was 2.7 and I didn't even feel it :shock: so I test more frequently now. I tried a ratio of 1cp to 1.5 novarapid but it sent my sugars a bit wobbly, so now I just try knocking off the odd point here and there, e.g. 5.5 cp/ 10 units instead of 11, sometimes I take 8 units/5cp, if the next reading before a meal is high then I have a bit more novarapid usually 1-2 units. It seems to keep my BS readings a bit more even.

Hope this helps.
    PS how do you get these pictures to work?!

7. Wizadora87

I usually wake up around 8am, on that specific day I woke around 8:30 at 3.2, had approx 1carb portion of fruit juice and ate breakfast an hour later.

Today and yesterday I woke up at 5.6 and 5.4 (increased my Lantus to 16 before bed now) seems great! Yesterday I went from 5.4 when I woke, up to 11.9 (2 hours later). I then ate breakfast with 3 carb portions and 7 units and was 15.1 (2 hours after).

Today I woke at 5.6 and tested at 1pm and was 18 :D So just had my 3 cp of lunch with 8 units. I haven't gone low though with the increased Lantus (I was going low with 14 pre-dinner before dose changes, but I've reduced bolus with lunch and dinner). So I might be able to increase the Lantus even more maybe.... I'll see how it goes for a few days first though. I'm sure my bolus seems to start working like crazy approx 5.5-6hours after taking it though. That's always when I dip. About 6 hours after the bolus. Strange, or not? Maybe I need to wake at 6 and take a correction dose ready for lunch time :D

8. nigelho

nigelho Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,
    After reading your blog you say that you don't eat breakfast and if you don't inject novorapid your BS will rise. It will, I assume, as liver lump will occur..your body still need 'carbs' to feed itself. Try and learn carb counting and work out your ratios. Yes the starting point is usually 1 unit novorapid for 10grams carbs but everyone is different and it also will depend on what you're doing during the day. When I used novorapid I started off on a ratio of 1:7carbs but ended using 1:4 when not working(physical work) and 1:5 or 6 depending how busy I was. I'm now on porcine neutral and isophane and my carb counting has gone out the window as porcine (for me) works 3-4 hours and not 2 hours like novorapid.
    Please read up and take matters into your hands. Keep an eye on your night injections/amount and time of injections.

9. tinamusi

tinamusi · Newbie

Hi There,

During a meal, your liver will store sugar, or glucose, as glycogen for a later time when your body urgently needs it . You could call this 'emergency glucose' i guess. This is why you wake up with steady glucose levels yet later they drastically spike up. Your body senses your glucose levels are low and then releases the glucose it previously stored in your liver as 'emergency glucose' for when you do not provide it with food to balance your sugar levels. I would suggest you try and eat even a fruit and inject some insulin if you can which will cause your levels to slightly balance instead of spiking in the morning. You could also inject some insulin (a little) without snacking and this will reduce the sugar levels when they spike up later in the morning but then again the body is an unpredictable thing, you may end up in a terrible hypo if for some reason it doesn't release the usual glucose that causes the late morning spike. Basically we end up in hypos when we inject too much insulin for a meal. You wake up each morning low at 4 however wont have injected any insulin since 8 hrs ago before bed at dinner and you are continuing this day with no breakfast, so this means your body simply goes into self defense mode and does it for itself by shooting our the stored glucose as it senses starvation! Hope this makes sense!

Thanks
    Tina

10. halis

halis · Newbie

do exactly the same robert. upon wake up immediate pump from liver.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NeyDia

NeyDia · Member

Novorapid/lantus nothing works for me....my post and fasting always high suggest me a better plan to control BG

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook