Now Russ's puss is diabetic

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
I'm not sure if I should be making this post or if I should put it somewhere else. I don't even know what response to expect, if any. Teddy is our Burmese puss. He's 16 and already has CRF (kidney problems) and has just been diagnosed as diabetic. He's had his first insulin injection and we can monitor him with my own gear. He used to be a muscular boy but has lost weight now and is becoming a bit of bag-puss, like a pyjama case. Feeding and diet aren't too easy.

Does anyone else have a diabetic puss?

Russ

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Oh poor *****! There's a bit in the Home page about feline diabetes,don't know if you've read it or not.My cat is 15 and,touch wood,does not seem to have any health problems yet.

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
This shouldn't really be here but I thought some people might be interested to know that Teddy's cured! Well at least he is having 'spontaneous remission' which apparently is not uncommon in cats, but only in cats. After a month or so of injections his levels returned to normal instead of going off the top end of the scale (the monitor was registering 'Hi') and we've changed his diet. He's put weight on, he's much livelier and looks better. Thanks all.

Russ

ChocFish

Aww Russ this is good news, I am a cat addict (animal addict really), and am owned by three cats so any news like this cheers me up no end and I think many members of this forum wish they were cats too, especially in a household where they get spoilt and pampered no end, huh?

All the best to you and yours and a cuddle to the furry rascal in your life.

Karen

stockcar19

Glad to hear your cat is better.I find it interesting that many more animals do seem to be suffering from endocrine disorders such as Diabetes in cats and dogs which it is thought may have something to do with highly processed pre-packaged and tinned animal foods, and also an increaes in Cushings disease in horses which gives rise to similar blood sugar disorders.
Please don't batter me,these thoughts came from a discussion we recently had with our equine vet who is treating one of our horses for Cushings,but would be intersted if anyone has any further comment.
In horses the disease is affected by grazing - the grass apparantly overloads the horse's Blood Sugar levels to the point where the horse is restricted to 15 minutes grazing per day and fed with low sugar bulk feed and dry hay.It also is beleived to induce Laminitis - a very painful inflammation in the foot/feet.
Regards Pete